Sign in to follow this  

Boots- Sidi vs Gaerne vs Astars

I'm looking for some new boots, and am considering a few options:

Sidi Crossfire SRS is my first choice, expensive yes but people seem to love them.

Gaerne SG10 also get great reviews and a little less expensive

Alpinestar Tech 8 classic tried and classic tested boot but I kind of want to try something different.

I usually wear a size 12, and have semi wide feet nothing crazy, and not huge, but probably bigger than average calves if that helps.

I'm after the most protection, comfort and quality construction so they don't fall apart quickly like some I've had

My hubby has the Flexforce (the generation before the Crossfires), and they have proven amazingly durable. They've held up to years of use and a lot of dirt (and a few SM) crashes, and he's walked away from all of them. Some of my friends have the Crossfire, and they seem just as good if not better.

I'd have the Crossfires in a heartbeat if they made them in small sizes; as it is, I ordered the Stingers and am crossing my fingers that they're half as good.

ive had all 3 gaerne does not have half sizes and there boots never fit me quite right. the alpines stars all had a good fit and feel but not very waterproof and i ride offroad..imo the sidi's are better boots

ive never heard a bad thing about sidi. i have the SG-10s and absolutely love them. they fit me well, have great support and have proved very durable. i had bad luck with alpine stars.

I recently switched from SG10's to the Sidi Crossfire SRS. The SG10's held up great but eventually the ankle pivot on the inside of both boots wore down and the hardware was exposed, trashed my plastics and frame. Fixing it was not that hard and even after many hours the rest of the boot (upper, sole, etc) was in great shape. Decided to switch to Sidi on my most recent pair since I have been wearing their Road Race boots for over a decade and love them. The SRS has great protection, is very comfortable when adjusted correctly and they seem much thinner to me when shifting/braking. Have about 25 hours of riding time on them so far and they still look new, even the soles look great - although the big sell is replacing them yourself when the time comes.

If you want to save a little money pick up some SG10's, now that the 12's are out a few places are dealing on them. Otherwise spend $425 or so on the Sidi SRS's they are worth every penny IMO.

SG 10's......best boots ive owned ever!!!

Gaerne SG10 FTW (Made in Italy)

My first choice if I was you would be the SG10 and then the SIDI's. I wouldn't buy Alpinestars because they are made in China and only the top boot is made in Croatia.

Gaerne SG10 FTW (Made in Italy)

My first choice if I was you would be the SG10 and then the SIDI's. I wouldn't buy Alpinestars because they are made in China and only the top boot is made in Croatia.

Great info thank you!!! I'm trying to repeat my mistake of chinese made boots:foul: so the tech 8 is out I guess. I had some fox boots that looked good at first and then literally fell apart at the seams in a matter of a few rides! I'm willing to spend the $ for some quality made italian or whatever that will last.

Otherwise spend $425 or so on the Sidi SRS's they are worth every penny IMO.

Where can I order them for $425? I see them for $500 everywhere? thanks

Ja, the prices were raised recently. $500 MSRP for the Crossfire SRs, $450 for the TAs (without the easy-swap soles).

Where can I order them for $425? I see them for $500 everywhere? thanks

They were at $450.00 - 475.00 when I ordered mine back in October, made a few offers on Ebay and was able to get a pair for $425.00 shipped.

Looks like they might have raised prices a bit for 2009, not sure the boots changed at all this year so last years boots may be cheaper. Sidi's are made in Italy also, either company makes quality products.

I have sg10's and I really like them. They are getting really beat up but still work great. Probably have over 100 hours on them. I can't really compare them to anything else though, they are my first "high end" boot. I will probably try Sidi's next.

SG10's are the way to go. I was looking for good protection, that's why I went with them. They also break in after about a hour worth of use.

I just ordered some SG10s for $245 delivered. I liked my Tech3s, but these are only $50 more, and about 7.42 times better according to reviews on TT!

Im looking for the Sidi Crossfires SRS.. so if anyone is selling a pair 11.5 for a good deal PM me please...

I've had Fox and now gaerne SG10's. I love the SG 10's! However, they are heavy imo. If you can live with that, you'll love those boots!

i say get the gaernes or sidi. i have sg10 now and love them. i use to have alpinestar tech 8 and i didnt care for them i dont like the little booties that are on the inside of the boots . if they got wet which was often (cause they had vents by your toes) they would dried up like a brick