Sign in to follow this  

Bikes in 5.5 ft truck bed and towing a trailer

I'm looking at picking up a small travel trailer for weekend desert trips. Does anyone tow a small trailer with bikes in the back of a 5.5 foot bed? My truck is an 06 F150. Small toy haulers are pretty hard to come by, but 18-20 ft travel trailers are all over the place for cheap. I think if I remove the tailgate, the bikes will still fit and I won't have any clearance issues turning.

I tow a 26' travel trailer with my Sierra Crew... The only catch is my bike has to go in the bed at an angle so I can close the gate, which limits how many toys I can haul.

A full size bike has an overall length of 7', this means your back tire rests on the gate, not the bed, so you won be able to remove it unless you find a way to support the rear tire.

You might be able to make it work for more than one bike with something like this:

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner_0.shtml

I've got a silverado w/ the short bed and there's two ways I've done it before. One was what elmo said and slide the back tire over far enough so you can close your tailgate. The other is when I've hauled our 12' atv trailer I've been able to leave the tailgate down and I've just made sure to take my turns a little wider (to be on the safe side) and its worked out just fine.

IMG_0288.jpg

depending on how much tounge weight, you could get one of the extensions that goes into your hitch and extends the ball anywhere from 12" - 18" back which would clear your tailgate or most of it. But if you have a heavy trailer, I am sure you wouldn't want to do that. Also it would make backing up a chore with that extension on there.

no tailgate works excellent, remove as to not hit the lp tanks and an added bonus of using the hitch then license plate step then top of bumper then the bed as stairs when loading the bikes this bed is 5' 8" i think(THREE BIKES IN THE PICTURED TRUCK) yz250/crf250x & ttr125le + generator and two cans of fuel :)

DSCN4462.jpg

depending on how much tounge weight, you could get one of the extensions that goes into your hitch and extends the ball anywhere from 12" - 18" back which would clear your tailgate or most of it. But if you have a heavy trailer, I am sure you wouldn't want to do that. Also it would make backing up a chore with that extension on there.

the proper extension requires a class 5 hitch, not available for my 1500

You could always put one bike in the bed diagonally and put a rack on the rear of the travel trailer....this guy went all out with his bike racks.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414133&highlight=tongue+weight

i really wanted to go this route and had a hitch fabricator come and look at my trailer only to find out that the waste tanks were too close to the frame and the extension would have too much leverage to be safe. in his opinion.

I tow a 26' travel trailer with my Sierra Crew... The only catch is my bike has to go in the bed at an angle so I can close the gate, which limits how many toys I can haul.

A full size bike has an overall length of 7', this means your back tire rests on the gate, not the bed, so you won be able to remove it unless you find a way to support the rear tire.

You might be able to make it work for more than one bike with something like this:

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner_0.shtml

in my 04 sierra crew the tire sat on the bed not the gate and i think the bed was 5' 8" (not the 6.5' bed)

You could always put one bike in the bed diagonally and put a rack on the rear of the travel trailer....this guy went all out with his bike racks.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414133&highlight=tongue+weight

DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT! put a bike carrier on the BACK of a trailer! I did that, became very dangerous, and caused a bad accident. It messed up the tongue weight, and caused a very unstable condition. Put the bike on the tongue ONLY!

I have seen super crewcab ford f150's with the tailgate closed and the rear tire of the bike sitting on top of the gate.

DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT! put a bike carrier on the BACK of a trailer! I did that, became very dangerous, and caused a bad accident. It messed up the tongue weight, and caused a very unstable condition. Put the bike on the tongue ONLY!

Depends on what your tongue weight already is. If it's light to begin with, it's definitely a no-go, but if you're tongue heavy (15% or more of the trailer's weight), then it won't hurt a thing.

It's all about balancing it out.

i really wanted to go this route and had a hitch fabricator come and look at my trailer only to find out that the waste tanks were too close to the frame and the extension would have too much leverage to be safe. in his opinion.

Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one!

All joking aside, thats a bummer.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I loaded a bike up last night with the tail gate off and it looks like it will be fine. The rear tire sits right on the edge. I'll just need to make sure it's strapped in really well.