Sign in to follow this  

DR650 upper chain roller & case saver req'm?

I am setting my 09 DR650 up for easy long distance dual sport/adv riding. No whoop slamming or tough single track on agenda. I removed upper chain roller as recommended by many TTers. I than removed counter shaft cover for less mud retention as I have done an all my dual sport rides in past. Now I see that the DR has no case saver. Appears to me that this bike needs both a case saver and the upper chain roller. The largest supplier of case savers, TM Design Works, does not have model for DR650. Are case savers available from anyone? Can I avoid chain roller breakage by careful chain tension adjustment? Thanks for opinions.

Jesse and Janet at Kientech said the upper chain roller does not have to be removed. They only break off when the chain is adjusted to tight. I took mine off. Why do you think it is needed? Jesse says it needs to be there or else Suzuki would not have put it there. What can happen without it?

Nothing has ever happened without it as far as we know.

Frame holes have happened with it, even with adjusted chains.

You makes your choice....

I am setting my 09 DR650 up for easy long distance dual sport/adv riding. No whoop slamming or tough single track on agenda. I removed upper chain roller as recommended by many TTers. I than removed counter shaft cover for less mud retention as I have done an all my dual sport rides in past. Now I see that the DR has no case saver. Appears to me that this bike needs both a case saver and the upper chain roller. The largest supplier of case savers, TM Design Works, does not have model for DR650. Are case savers available from anyone? Can I avoid chain roller breakage by careful chain tension adjustment? Thanks for opinions.

Case savers...

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/Engine_Guards/DR650SE_Guards/DR650SE.htm

Why does it need the upper chain roller?

the upper chain roller protects the frame from the chain.

if you cant adjust your chain properly without ripping

the upper chain roller off, maybe you shouldnt

be adjusting your chain.

thats why it has a lower & upper chain guides - if suzuki could have saved .50 per bike by

not including a upper chain roller then they would have.

obviously suzuki feels it is needed for safe operation

Its just strange that the upper pulley would be there after all these years. After all, Suzuki could save a bit of $ not installing the pulley or the mount on the frame. I took mine off because of this site but wonder if it was smart, motorcycles are dangerous enough without a chain coming off a pulley. Good thing I only ride on road and not too fast.

the upper chain roller protects the frame from the chain.

if you cant adjust your chain properly without ripping the upper chain roller off, maybe you shouldnt be adjusting your chain.

thats why it has a lower & upper chain guides - if suzuki could have saved .50 per bike by not including a upper chain roller then they would have.

obviously suzuki feels it is needed for safe operation

Ah, the mighty Suzuki never makes any mistakes. :)

You have been on the forum long enough, can you point to a single case of anybody having a problem when not using the upper roller?!?

And the issue is not that generally the upper roller shouldn't be on the bike, it's that it is located too low on the frame - a simple design mistake like the Doo that Kawa kept on the KLR unchanged for nearly 20 years. So unless you change the mount somehow, it might be smarter to not have one at all.

Jesse and Janet at Kientech said the upper chain roller does not have to be removed. They only break off when the chain is adjusted to tight. I took mine off. Why do you think it is needed? Jesse says it needs to be there or else Suzuki would not have put it there. What can happen without it?

I knew that a too tight chain would ruin rear wheel bearings, counter shaft seals, possibly tranny, and lead to early chain wear. This idea that a too tight chain is also main reason for upper roller breaking seems logical because when suspension bottoms the upper chain run comes up closer to upper roller.

Also seems like a too loose chain could come up and slap the upper roller pretty hard. But we all know that being a little loose is far better than being a little tight.

i think the poster was lookin for a case saver not guards

i built a simple one using a steel strap from a filing cabinet

just a loop bolted at 2 sprocket cover locations.garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=59017

Yes, this is what I am looking for. I am leaning toward conclusion that the upper roller plus your type of home made case saver plus proper chain adjustment (never too tight) could possibly be the best solution. I have seen cases breaking when chain either breaks or comes off and jams up between CS and cases. Not fun. On the other hand, as correctly reminded above, what bad thing has ever happened by removing upper roller?

There is a guy from Australia that sells a decent case saver (the one for the sprocket area) for the DR on Advrider. Don't remember his username, maybe NordieBoy knows?

Yes, this is what I am looking for. I am leaning toward conclusion that the upper roller plus your type of home made case saver plus proper chain adjustment (never too tight) could possibly be the best solution.

If you're in a rocky section and the wheel grips quite well on something the chain is going to be quite tight across the top.

If you're well down in the suspension travel at the time and on the gas then there's 34hp trying to pull the chain straight and 150kg + your bodyweight + the roller trying to keep it bent. One day the roller will loose.

Ah, the mighty Suzuki never makes any mistakes. :banghead:

You have been on the forum long enough, can you point to a single case of anybody having a problem when not using the upper roller?!?

And the issue is not that generally the upper roller shouldn't be on the bike, it's that it is located too low on the frame - a simple design mistake like the Doo that Kawa kept on the KLR unchanged for nearly 20 years. So unless you change the mount somehow, it might be smarter to not have one at all.

Pearls of wisdom Lukas. They ask yet they will not hear. :)

when the rear suspension compresses on the DR, the chain loosens. This is when the upper chain roller comes into play, it takes some slack out off the chain. Possibly when 2 people ride on the DR the situation is exaggerated.

I ride my DR hard, everything from single track to the occasional motocross

track with large jumps AND I have never had an issue with the upper chain roller.

since i have no experience running a setup like Lukas has, or anyone else for

that matter, i have to evaluate circumstances based upon my own experiences.

I believe problems occur with the upper chain-roller when the chain is set too tight AND since i adjust my chain properly, i have no problem with the upper chain-roller being on the bike.

Do a search on upper chain roller.It will explain everything you need to know,it's your choice.

when the rear suspension compresses on the DR, the chain loosens.

Only to a point. Then it starts tightening up again.

Only the bottom of the chain is loose. Under power the top is tight.