Sign in to follow this  

A little stalling

I love my 505 and have got a few hundred miles on it and the only thing I would like to get rid of is the occasional stalling on dumb little things like tight turns or on rocky up hills. So is a flywheel the answer or one of those fancy clutches and if I go with a flywheel will it slow down the throttle response or quickness in the bike. :)

The flywheel weight (+8.0 oz from TT or Steahly) doesn't do anything to the throttle response or quickness IMO. It does help, but not as much as you would think. But if it did work that good in that application, it would probably slow the motor down a bunch.

The Rekluse is an option. But either you are a Rekluse rider or not. You don't want to spend $600+ for something that may not suit you. Personally, I love those things and am seriously considering one for my 505.

Another option that I will be trying shortly is the R&D Powerbowl. I am thinking that I will be ordering one today.

This is my first 4-stroke and I am having to get used to the engine braking so maybe the Reklus would be a good choice

Thanks thats what I'm hoping for, is there starting point on the JD kit??

I had some stalling issues with my 505 when it was new as well, after the break-in period is over, another thing that greatly helped was to make sure that the idle speed is set correctly, in my case it helped a lot for stalling in low speed cornering in woods and stalling that I was getting when clutching on the way down from sand hill climbs, I turned the ilde speed (not the fuel screw) up half a turn and the problem was virtually gone.

BTW I had already installed the JD Kit wich gave great results as well, the Honda diaphragm mod cleaned up the off idle bog that I was getting when I was snapping the throttle open to clear obstacles or pop power wheelies over rolling trail bumps.

Good info thanks I will test it Sat before I ride my first GP in six years OMG I'm going to suck !

My 505 always stalled in the corners and rocky slow speed stuff. I installed an adjustable leak jet made by R&D racing, they have 2 basic styles ranging from $80 to $250, they all work great. If it stalls now it was MY fault!! You wont know how you have lived without it. I have installed several on other 505's and everyone was VERY happy with the results.

if your idle is set on the low side then turn it up a little, does wonders

especially for the first 10 hours or so until the motor loosens up a bit.

I've done quite a few thing to address stalling on my 505...

The Rekluse will absolutely get rid of all stalling if set up properly...and you WILL still have engine braking. The only people who say it gets rid of engine braking are people that haven't ridden one. As mentioned you either like a Rekluse or hate it...if you hate stalling you will love it. get the Pro model and ride it like a conventional clutch like I do...The elimination of stalling is worth the money alone. Be forewarned they create more heat than a conventional clutch...

The 8oz flywheel helps slightly with stalling and flameouts but is more for traction and the back end hooking up rather than spinning wildly. Don't get me wrong, they do help...it's just not the magic bullet like a Rekluse

Dialing your jetting in with a Powerbowl and a JD jetting kit (or just dialing the jetting...period) helps hugely. Worth the money...

I've also added the Powernow and Powernow plus and I'm convinced they keep the airstream moving quicker at small throttle openings...hence a more predictable and crisper throttle and less stalling

Another thing I'm using is the G2 throttle cam. By preventing throttle "blipping" it keeps low throttle settings more even and results in less flooding from the accelerator pump overloading the airstream

I've also been running a Maxxiss desert IT tire and they are WAY heavier than most tires... more inertia equals less stalling. When I went to an IT I had a conventional clutch and belive it or not I did notice the extra rotational mass and less stalling

Damn.... I've just got this bike to where I love it and it's time to get a new one:bonk:

Be forewarned they create more heat than a conventional clutch...

:

So what are the side effects of this dirtier oil, engine boiling over???

So what are the side effects of this dirtier oil, engine boiling over???

It is easier to boil the bike in low speed conditions or sand with the Rekluse.

Loops is correct, you still get all the engine braking you want with a Rekluse. It is just like a sled (well at least my four stroke sled). As long as the engine speed is up past where the Rekluse engagement point is, you have engine braking. The issue you would have is if you are trying to "bulldog" a bike down a hill with the motor off. That is a challenge with a Rekluse (unless you have the handlebar mounted rear brake:thumbsup: ).

Most of us change our oil so regularly (I do at 5 hrs on average) that you will never notice the oil getting dirtier. When I change the oil it looks almost the same coming out as it does going in. I am sure that if you went way too long you would be able to get something coming out of the oil drain that looked like it came out of a diesel engine.

I'm not a big fan of the rekluse myself and I know you can address the the staling issue easily enough without it. If you still want it after that's ok I guess but getting the carb set up right will be your biggest help, getting used to riding a 4 stroke will also be nice as that developes. I don't like sitting around and waiting for guys bikes to cool off after every hard hill climb. There's not much open runaways where we ride, all tight single track, mostly game trails to be honest, and the two guys who have come with us and swore by their rekluse before spent the day swearing at it. My carb is all set up plus I run the trail tech flywheel and stalling is not a problem I deal with. I know loops seems to have the rekluse figured out but for a bike with no kick starter I want to be able to easily bump start my bike if needed. (as in I don't have room to pack extra clutch plates etc or make my buddies wait 10 minutes while I tear into my motor). Bottom line carb first, flywheel second, and forget about the rekluse (pronounced rek-use-less).

8 oz TT FWW and ALJ will cure your stalling for good. It did mine.

I'm not a big fan of the rekluse myself and I know you can address the the staling issue easily enough without it. If you still want it after that's ok I guess but getting the carb set up right will be your biggest help, getting used to riding a 4 stroke will also be nice as that developes. I don't like sitting around and waiting for guys bikes to cool off after every hard hill climb. There's not much open runaways where we ride, all tight single track, mostly game trails to be honest, and the two guys who have come with us and swore by their rekluse before spent the day swearing at it. My carb is all set up plus I run the trail tech flywheel and stalling is not a problem I deal with. I know loops seems to have the rekluse figured out but for a bike with no kick starter I want to be able to easily bump start my bike if needed. (as in I don't have room to pack extra clutch plates etc or make my buddies wait 10 minutes while I tear into my motor). Bottom line carb first, flywheel second, and forget about the rekluse (pronounced rek-use-less).

That is the beauty of the Rekluse PRO ride the thing like a normal clutch and it will act like a normal clutch....and will operate at the same temperature.

Your buddies obviously were riding in way to high of a gear, were lugging the engine, or in the wrong load range of the engine. Did they even touch the clutch lever?? If they didn't they weren't really using the PRO to it's potential. Giving the clutch lever a slap in certain situations will be the difference between locking up or slipping and creating excessive heat. The biggest problem with Rekluse riders that overheat is they are lazy and expect the clutch to do all the work. Tell them to come over here to Kamloops and I can school you guys on how to ride a bike with a Rekluse :) I can even give them a crash course on properly setting them up to prevent excessive slippage if they want:lol:

I can ride +40C temps all day in singletrack that would make a lot of people wheep, and if I don't abuse the Rekluse my bike will operate at the same temps as any "old school" clutched KTM....:banghead:

I agree with you on the carb setup..cheapest bang for the buck to help with stalling

I installed the JD kit today and rode around the house a little and I can tell the difference I was even trying to stall the bike just messing around and so fare couldn't. Tomorrow I will give a good test but I think it will be just what I needed.