Sign in to follow this  

Is 23,000 miles too much for a 95 Yamaha xt600?

Well I am looking at buying a 1995 Yamaha XT 600 with 23,000 miles. I know that is quite a few for any kind of bike but how far do these bikes usually run? I haven't seen it yet but it looks nice from the picture. He is asking $1750. Is it even worth looking at?

Thanks

I use to own one of those and glad I got ride of it. In the first 10k miles I replaced the top end three times. Take a compression test before you purchase it. Now I have a dr650 with 14k in 4 years and not one problem. The ultimate thing to remember is "buyer beware"

you can do better keep looking. i used to have a 1988 i bought it with 10k miles and sold it with almost 22k miles for $200 more than I paid for it. at one point i didnt put a cdi in it which cost about $120.id pick a xr or a klr over a xt for sure

I got an 87 XT 600 for $800 with 4500 miles on it, the bike is awesome. I cant complain, just like an xr. But that asking price is ridiculous.

Keep looking. For the same money you can get that bike with 3k on it.

Depends on the condition. I've been shopping for a dual sport for over a year now and $1700 for a running mid 90's 600cc is about dead on from what I've seen on both ebay and craigslist around Kansas City. I've seen a couple that were cheaper, but most were either no longer street legal, or had some major flaw. I really haven't come across too many Yamaha's. It's mostly been KLR's and DR's and a few Honda's. If it's a single owner bike, it's probably been well taken care of and the mileage wouldn't scare me as long as it doesn't smoke or have shifting problems. If it's had numerous owners then it's very possible maintenance has been neglected or altered work performed on the bike, therefore I would keep that in consideration. If I was just buying a bike to run around town or trail ride, then assuming it's in decent condition, I would be scared and the price is fair for around Kansas City, however unless it's been extremely well cared for or been rebuilt, I would be skeptical of taking it long distances in excess of a couple hundred miles from home. I have noticed that bikes seem to sell for less in California on ebay so if you can get a bike shipped from California cheap, then that might be the place to shop. Things to look for and ask. Engine smoke, Easy starting?, Idle good? Shift good?, Do the forks leak?, Rims true and don't wobble? Spokes tight? Condition of tires? When's the last time the tubes were replaced? Lights, horn, instrument panel, Battery?, Charging system? Chain condition? Are the sproket teeth curved over? Rust, frame, steering head condition?, etc, etc. You might be able to talk the guy down a couple hundred. Good luck.

I've got a XT550 (83, so a bit older than yours, but a lot is still the same between the two). I like it. It has 10k on it.

My street bike has 38,000 on it. At 33k it developed a bad vibration, I replaced the engine.

IMHO, it seems a little much, maybe $1,300, but 17 is too much.

Watch Craigslist, watch eBay there are better deals out there.

my 83 xt 550 i got last fall for 500 still runs great just this spring hadto mess w the carb put stp carb treatment restored the gas milage sofar rode 99 miles on a tank n half but yea make sure compression is good dont smoke any flaws mine has 14,000 miles and hadto replace rear shock n sprockets chain tires i can hit 80 w mine and still have throttle left get something w good gas milage or a new one like a lifan or rocketa lol

I paid $375 for my XT550, but it was pretty badly beat up by a truck before I got it. I've been told that fully restored it could sell for $1,200... but the only time I'd be interested in selling it is in fall so I could buy another poor abused beast and bring it back to life, then have it to ride the following spring and summer.

And no body who has a brain or isn't desperate for money will sell a bike in the fall.