Sign in to follow this  

changing steering stem?

I have a set of rg3 clamps to go on my 07 250f but me being a bit tight dont really want to buy a new stem if i can help it. How hard is it to get the stem out of the stock clamps and put in the rg3 lower clamp?

I have a set of rg3 clamps to go on my 07 250f but me being a bit tight dont really want to buy a new stem if i can help it. How hard is it to get the stem out of the stock clamps and put in the rg3 lower clamp?

Super easy, but you'll need a small hydraulic press. I have a 6-ton press that does the job easily. Put a socket under the bottom clamp (rest it on the reinforced ring around the outside of the stem) and press the stem down through the clamp. I'll build pressure, and right as you start getting scared **BANG** it'll pop free (usually with a loud report). To press in the new stem, you'll need a tube to support the clamp - I used a 1" piece of black pipe. Rest the clamp on the tube, slide the stem down through the clamp, then press the stem home. You can then flip the whole thing over and use the tube to press the bottom bearing onto the stem.

JayC