Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces with flexion (bend) stops?

Im now into month 3 of my recooperation of my femur break, specifically the femoral condyle which is at the knee, Im still on crutches due to the bottom side of the condyle healing, and ive started looking at knee braces for riding, which I snowmobile, and Downhill Mt Bike, and occasionally ride MX. Original thread is here detailing my break are here.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734001&highlight=broken+femur

I have looked at several braces, and the only brace that seems to be of quality with flexion stops (bend) is the EVS SX-02.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/1559/ITEM/EVS-SX02-Knee-Brace.aspx

The reason I am looking at flexion stops is to my range of motion since the break was at the knee. I only have about 112 degrees of bend right now, 90-95 degrees comfortably. It will slowly get better, but I dont expect it to ever fully come back, and need some protection in that area. Also looking for a brace with the most impact and joint support as possible. Im not sure if there is an all inclusive brace out there.

I really like the POD MX brace, but It does not have flexion stops, only extension stops from 12.5 15, 17, 20 degrees. The EVS web doesnt have stops either, or do these braces naturally stop at 90-110 degrees.

Recomendations????

Check out the donjoy armour with force point I think its called.

Its basically a spring that starts to put tension on the brace as you approach full extension. Only brace I know that has it. Its got the adjustable stops also.

I've worn Evs webs and they sucked bad. I've also worn the askterisk's and they were decent but they wear out too quick.

I like the donjoy armour's I have now.

I've had 3 torn acl's and Dr. Mark fixed my last one if it means anything. Good luck and the best knee brace you can have is a strong leg.

Upon further reading of your thread I see your interested in the flexion. I'll have to check and see if the armours have that. I don't think they do and the brace that you have posted is one of the only moto type braces I've seen that have the flexion stops. That brace is more medical looking and featured than all others I've seen marketed toward motocross.

I wear the Donjoy armor braces as well and they do have a flexion stop that must be ordered seperately. I have the kit but don't use them if interested send me a pm.

Thanks for the reply's. I have been reading into the donjoy armours and they seem to be the ticket as far as flexion limits, and I did confirm they sell a flexion stop kit on the side.

I am gonna call Asterisk and see if the cell is available with a flexion stop, they only show a 0-40 extension stop

This is the same question I have. My knees are very vulnerable when bent at angles below 90 degrees. I need to have my meniscus scoped, but I can't afford surgery (over $7,000) and my crappy insurance won't cover it. I'd like to go on a ride, taking it as easy on my bad knee as possible, but I'd like some protection.

Seems all the braces are designed for extension limits. Some flexion stops would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you had surgery you should ask your doc to prescribe the braces, then your insurance can pay most of it, maybe. But I just did the same and have some custom CTI braces on their way, my part is less than e amount for off the shelf braces.

Just a thought

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, my insurance is awful. I'm sure the army has provided much better insurance than I could ever dream of as a self-employed person who is just getting by.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Custom CTI's come with a selection of elastomer flexion stops you can set for your comfort.