Oil drain bolt.

Hi,

i have used this method once and it works great

when you get the kit you are supplied with a drill, a tap and the wire insert

you first drill out the hole with the supplied drill re-tap the hold and screw the wire insert i used a small amount of lock tight to secure it and it works 100% no worrys about leaks i wouldnt wrap it in teflon tape even though it might work its a bit of a bodge lol

i work as an engineer and we use the method on parts made out of aluminium because a threaded hold in a soft metal life aluminium of magnesium wears easily and the threads can be stripped easily so the wire insert is used to make the thread stronger and prevent wear.

The Timesert insert looks alot stronger than a Helicoil, although im sure its cost alot more. Does anyone have a price on opne of these kits? Im about to buy an 05 RMZ250 from a friend and his little brother ripped the threads out of the drain.

I just put a timesert in to replace my stripped oil drain threads and it works great. It was a little pricey but now I have steel threads that shouldn't give me any future problems. Super easy to install too.

My rmz is an 07 and I ordered the M12x1.25 9mm insert kit.

• 4 years later...

Hi all

Found a small crack in the casing at the oil drain bolt.

I have drained the oil in order to see how bad the crack is and found the below pic.

Is this a timesert already inserted or do all look like that??

bolt.jpg

Thanks

Dazz

So.... Just been to the local bike shop, it is indeed a timesert already inserted prior to me purchasing the bike. Problem now is I have a crack outside the timesert, so good clean and JB weld it is!!!