Sign in to follow this  

KX5 top end job

Looks like a little carbon deposits but, the cylinder looks smooth. Looks OK to me. :)

Looks like a little carbon deposits but, the cylinder looks smooth. Looks OK to me. :)

Just found some slight flaking above the exhaust port.

th_100_8919.jpg

You could sleeve it if it bothers you. Would give you peace of mind. If it were me, I would run it like it is. :)

I wouldn't sleeve it. Aluminum conducts heat much better than steel. It's not like a sleeve will not work, it just means that the piston will get hotter all things being equal. It might not be an issue on the trail, but it could be at a place that needs more power like sand dunes.

I would imaging that a sleeve could be a little less expensive, but not by a huge factor.

It really doesn't look that bad. We need to send you to close up photo school though. It's kind of hard to see the damage that you indicate is there.

dont sleeve it, plate it. wash it with hot soapy water and a scotchbrite pad and see if you can get some of the crap off, i cant see much in the photos, but it looks worn to me

I agree it looks worn to me also. Cylinder plating that is flaking off the cylinder walls is pretty much the kiss of death. Sleeve, replate, new cylinder... How is the bottom end? Might be time for bike restoration if you are going to keep the bike.

The new piston deserves a fresh bore to run in... If its flaking now.. Its only going to flake more... Spend the $200 and know its going to last awhile...

I wouldn't sleeve it. Aluminum conducts heat much better than steel. It's not like a sleeve will not work, it just means that the piston will get hotter all things being equal. It might not be an issue on the trail, but it could be at a place that needs more power like sand dunes.

I would imaging that a sleeve could be a little less expensive, but not by a huge factor.

It really doesn't look that bad. We need to send you to close up photo school though. It's kind of hard to see the damage that you indicate is there.

dont sleeve it, plate it. wash it with hot soapy water and a scotchbrite pad and see if you can get some of the crap off, i cant see much in the photos, but it looks worn to me

This is the same advise I get from the KXRIDERS site. I found a place to do it for 189.99. Millenium Technologies.

I know the camera is terrible... The spot that is flaked off is approx 2mm wide by 5-6mm long, right above that exhaust port. It looks like it would flake more if re-used.

So off it goes!

This is the same advise I get from the KXRIDERS site. I found a place to do it for 189.99. Millenium Technologies.

I know the camera is terrible... The spot that is flaked off is approx 2mm wide by 5-6mm long, right above that exhaust port. It looks like it would flake more if re-used.

So off it goes!

didint relize its flaking, IT MUST BE REPLATED. i just used milenium and im very pleases with their work, good luck

didint relize its flaking, IT MUST BE REPLATED. i just used milenium and im very pleases with their work, good luck

Thanks, what was the turn around time?

I would re plate it.Also check your port stems [the thin supports in the port] mine were cracked and needed tacked.

I would re plate it.Also check your port stems [the thin supports in the port] mine were cracked and needed tacked.

I checked them, and they are all good. I also did some cleanup of the casting flaws near the sub-transfers, and the walls on the intake side. Kawi had some sloppy casting molds I think.