Sign in to follow this  

Boots...?

I know this is a touchy subject but here goes....

I'm in the market for new boots and I wanted tech 10's but the new price seems to be really inflated to justify.

sg12 are my next choice

has any one used AXO prime's ?

I'm coming off a broken fibula in my tech 7 ( not the boots fault my doctor said it could have happened stepping off a curb)

or should I stick to tech 7's?

Please reply only if you have used the mentioned boots. I don't want this to turn into a boot bashing contest....lol

I know this is a touchy subject but here goes....

I'm in the market for new boots and I wanted tech 10's but the new price seems to be really inflated to justify.

sg12 are my next choice

has any one used AXO prime's ?

I'm coming off a broken fibula in my tech 7 ( not the boots fault my doctor said it could have happened stepping off a curb)

or should I stick to tech 7's?

Please reply only if you have used the mentioned boots. I don't want this to turn into a boot bashing contest....lol

I have the AXO RC6's. You can find them on Ebay for $100. Awesome boot and an even better price. I even bought a spare set. The sizing is pretty much dead on, the boots won't get all weak and loose after a while either.

yea, I had thoes boots before.. I like the tech 7 more

Gaerne for sure. I have tech 8's and love them, but with the MAJOR price increase for a-stars im gonna switch over to gaerne for sure (was probably gonna switch anyways but the price increase made it a gimme). The sg12s are an awesome boot, but if you wanna save some money get the sg10's :)

cant go wrong with the SG-10's, if you want to save a little coin. they are a great boot.

how much are the sg 10's and where is the best place to get them

OK, I have done some research and I'm leaning toward AXO prime's ... Now can anyone tell me the difference between the AXO prime 07 and 09's????

Is it the same boot?

does anyone have these boots?....lol I can see why they keep dropping the price

AStars are costing around $500 now and they are made in China. ***?!:thumbsup:

Alpinestars Tech 3s, their price point model, are made in Thailand. Don't know about the T6s.

Tech 8s and Tech 10s are made in East Europe, with technical support from the Italy production team. This is how most of the Italian mfgs operate now, and it is effectively the same as production in Italy, but with more capacity.

NW

does anyone have these boots?....lol I can see why they keep dropping the price

I heard an explanation of the difference a while back, but I do not remember it exactly. Loosely, they modified the toe area to make it slimmer, and I believe make some durability improvements. The Primes are made in China. Still, seems like a good boot.

FWIW, the designer of the Tech 10, Kenny Safford, moved on to Axo, and did the Primes. He probably knows more about boot design than only a handful of people on the planet. Axo seems to be one of the better companies making boots in Asia, IMO.

There is a lot of mis-info on boots flying around, mostly an issue of context. Is an SG12 better than a $150 XYZ made in china boot? Of COURSE. But if you have $150 to spend, some are better than others. No offense to anyone on this thread, but the Tech 3 is a good sub-$200 boot. If that is your price ceiling, you either get something made in China, or you look for closeouts.

Here is a good general thought: look at the market as three segments: up to $150, $150 - $300, and $300 and over. That will help you compare better.

Hope that helps.

NW

what about the tcx boots that nick wey uses? Has anyone tried those? Were they ny good?

I have them, solid boot, good protection, good sole, but they run small and narrow.

I heard an explanation of the difference a while back, but I do not remember it exactly. Loosely, they modified the toe area to make it slimmer, and I believe make some durability improvements. The Primes are made in China. Still, seems like a good boot.

FWIW, the designer of the Tech 10, Kenny Safford, moved on to Axo, and did the Primes. He probably knows more about boot design than only a handful of people on the planet. Axo seems to be one of the better companies making boots in Asia, IMO.

There is a lot of mis-info on boots flying around, mostly an issue of context. Is an SG12 better than a $150 XYZ made in china boot? Of COURSE. But if you have $150 to spend, some are better than others. No offense to anyone on this thread, but the Tech 3 is a good sub-$200 boot. If that is your price ceiling, you either get something made in China, or you look for closeouts.

Here is a good general thought: look at the market as three segments: up to $150, $150 - $300, and $300 and over. That will help you compare better.

Hope that helps.

NW

thank you for the feedback.

Alot of guys I know that have the AXO prime boots have had alot of trouble with the rubber on the side of the boot tearing where it rubs on the frame. Me personally I love my sg-10s have had them two years now and not any problems and ultra comfortable

I picked up a set of the TCX's. Pretty decent boot overall, but I don't think I will keep them because the buckles seem like a pain to shut, also they are made in good old China, even though folks here told me they are Italian made. The toe box is very high too. Seems like a pretty decent boot though, but not $330. I really want to like the SG 10's but they are the heaviest boots I've looked at by a long shot.

another vote for Gaerne....SG 10,12 whatever.

Like said earlier, things made in italy are usually the best, with USA in second. China??? ***??

Ya know, if i have the money, i have no qualms with dropping a lot of money on a quality product, but when a company marks up a product for 400% profit, that really turns me off. Those A-stars probably cost 40 bucks for materials and assembly. What a crock.

All these big companies trying to increase profits by going overseas and STILL charging insane prices are the reason our economy is in this mess.

but anyway, I have had my Gaerne SG10 for 3 seasons and they are as good as the first day i got them.

BTW, whoever recommended FOX, i strongly disagree with. Ive been boycotting Fox for about four years now. Their quality control is horrible and they dont stand behind their product when it literally falls apart. Ive had good experience with THOR.

I picked up a set of the TCX's. Pretty decent boot overall, but I don't think I will keep them because the buckles seem like a pain to shut, also they are made in good old China, even though folks here told me they are Italian made. The toe box is very high too. Seems like a pretty decent boot though, but not $330. I really want to like the SG 10's but they are the heaviest boots I've looked at by a long shot.

The buckles are a bitch and the toe is higher than gaerne