Sign in to follow this  

Auto clutch question

I took a spare clutch pack apart and removed some of the engagement balls, put it all back together again.

While I was in there, I noticed a tiny bit of rust oddly on the friction plates and not on the floaters.

I took the other one out, installed this one with an impact wrench, re-filled the oil level to it's correct mark. (I did not drain the oil completely, just tilted the bike so it didn't all run out the side cover. The oil is not ready to be changed, although since it's so little it's not like it's gonna hurt).

No leaks.

The bike sat for a week.

Started the bike, all was fine. However, when I put it in gear, the bike stalled. Thinking I didn't put the clutch pack back together right, the appropriate thing to do is of course, restart the bike and see if it happens again, right?

Well, this time put it in first and the bike sort of pulled, but didn't stall.

After riding it, the clutch loosened up and other than a higher engagement RPM, acts normal.

Could a couple spots of rust cause it to behave this way? Could there be any underlying issues that I'd forgotten? Should I take it apart again and check or just leave it alone?

So I take it no one knows?

I'm wondering if I should keep the spare clutch packs soaking in oil, now to prevent this in the future, or at least, soaking them in oil before installing?

That could be, but the other one didn't drag. Only difference that I can tell between the installed one and the spare was a tiny bit of rust.

I need to go ride it again to see if it's resolved or not.