Sign in to follow this  

Starting an xr600 when its been dropped.

Hi, have recently bought a 91 XR600r, and can start it very easily whens its cold or hot, but how do you start it when its been on its side as am having a real problem, i'm sure there is a knack to it but i cant seem to find it!!

Am in Britain and they didnt sell an awful lot of them here so information is scarce.

Using no choke or gas, hold the decompression lever and kick it through 3 or 4 times to clear out the cylinder. Then try to start normally.

Using no choke or gas, hold the decompression lever and kick it through 3 or 4 times to clear out the cylinder. Then try to start normally.

I would say this, except kick with the throttle wide open.

On things that are not mighty hard to kick in the 1st place (smaller bikes or something with an Estart) you can just kick/crank with the throttle wide open and it'll start right up.

Even works on fuel-injected engines, although usually they won't flood in the 1st place.

Dave

I would say this, except kick with the throttle wide open.

Yes exactly, except that you can kick at least 8-10 times before reasonably expecting it to fire. But this is the correct procedure to get it restarted if flooded: no choke, full throttle and decompression with many kicks, then the usual starting routine. :):banghead:

Even works on fuel-injected engines, although usually they won't flood in the 1st place.

Dave

On most fuel injected models this method actually turns the injectors off.

On all my bikes after I crash. Choke off, Throttle wide open, Kick it like I normally would. Should fire right up. By holding the throttle open you are not adding any gas as the air velocity is too slow to suck up too much gas through the jets.

Thanks for the reply guys although am gonna try and keep it right side up!!! But at least ive got some idea now!!