Sign in to follow this  

No clutch gear changing?

Hi Guys, have just brought an 04 WRF Yamaha and in the older days of riding was told you only need to use the clutch for starting off and stopping,is this true? as I have been riding the bike without using the clutch to change up & down thru the gears.

Thanks Paul :)

there wont be a consensus because this is a mega-controversial topic.

Do a search and pick the opinion you want to stick with.

from what i understand i wouldnt suggest not using the clutch when down shifting buts its ok when ur shifting up

What difference does it make up or down?

If you use the throttle to unload the gears, they carry no load during the shift and there is no more wear than if you use it.

If you are doing full throttle clutchless shifts that's a different matter. Some will say the transmission is designed for it and causes no harm. I don't know, I haven't talked to the guy who designed the transmission. I know it takes a bit of force on the lever to shift that way so that convinces me that I don't want to do it.

With the exception of start/stopping and some tricky section that might need some clutch work, I rarely use the clutch instead opting for unloading the clutch by rolling off the throttle. I do this for starts as well since I am paying 100% of my sponsorship, might as well treat your equipment nicely.

It is a learned skill, I not having a clutch lever shift exclusively with out one.

never an issue just unload the gears or let off the gas the motor does not have to come to an idle the load just needs to be off the gears or drive.

2500 miles no trans damage.

I always use the clutch when I'm not racing or practicing at race speed.

In my opinion, take the time to use the clutch. It is easier on the gears and the engine will last longer.

If you are riding an 04 WR 450 you are probably not a racing for championships.

The only reason not to take the time to use the clutch is because you don't have the time i.e. racing.

I never use the clutch.

The bikes are designed to shift without one. They are synchronized straight cut gears, the "excess load" as some people say is BS.

The mating gears never actually disengage from eachother, so theres no possibe gear tooth damage.

They shift by sliding on the shaft and engaging gear "dogs"on the side of the gear.

Just about anyone who thinks the tranny can be damaged by this had not seen the inside of one, or doesnt understand how they work.

If you have a Rekluse then you are always shifting up and down without a clutch. I have not heard of any transmission failures as a result of this. I very rarely use the clutch.

Thanks all for the replys.

As i'm not racing and use it for Trail riding only i think from what is written here i'll be OK without using the clutch.

i had to bolt the cluch on my 81 yz 125 solid last year because it broke the tranny still good but neutral dosent work also it dosest have a kick start so you have to just roll and go

I never use the clutch.

The bikes are designed to shift without one. They are synchronized straight cut gears, the "excess load" as some people say is BS.

The mating gears never actually disengage from eachother, so theres no possibe gear tooth damage.

They shift by sliding on the shaft and engaging gear "dogs"on the side of the gear.

Just about anyone who thinks the tranny can be damaged by this had not seen the inside of one, or doesnt understand how they work.

Just to clarify, dirt bike gear boxes are not syncronized. They are, however constant mesh. That doesn't mean that clutchless shifting doesn't damage the dogs though. Keep banging gears and you will evantually be tearing the motor apart to clean up or replace the now deformed dogs. I put lots of miles on my bike so perhaps my idea of longevity is skewed. Personaly, I'd rather throw a clutch at a bike every few years as opposed to a transmission overhaul.

u should be good without using it but i still prefere to use it if ur racing not using the clutch is totally understandable but for me the only time i dont use it is when i step on the shifter accidently

I just wanted to say I found shifting without the clutch handy when I'm going up a really rocky bucky hill and need to shift down, when it's real ugly and it's a rodeo deleting that motion of moving my hand and not having to coordinate it with my foot really helps, as well as I don't seem to hit neutral by accident--if I usethe clutch in the same situation it seems half the time I hit neutral, baaaaad.

Is that true or is that all in my head?

Just to clarify, dirt bike gear boxes are not syncronized. They are, however constant mesh.

My bad, I misspoke.

Let me ask you this: Do you think the dogs were designed for clutchless shifting?

I know of the 5 years I've my 03 YZ125 and shifted clutchless, the gear dogs have almost no wear at all.

My bad, I misspoke.

Let me ask you this: Do you think the dogs were designed for clutchless shifting?

I know of the 5 years I've my 03 YZ125 and shifted clutchless, the gear dogs have almost no wear at all.

the dogs were NOT designed for clutchless shifting...

I think the dogs would have a LOT less meat on them if they were not designed to do this.

From a purely statistic standpoint: the majority of people who race shift this way. If this is harmful to the tranny, you would see MANY more failures. A transmission failure on modern motocross bikes is a pretty rare occurrence, and of the ones that I have seen, most have been bearing related, not gear.

The engineering team who develop the gearboxes understand that people will be shifting this way. In a way, they are designed for misuse.

I never use the clutch.

Right. But what about the gear dogs??? If you shift under load they suffer the "excess load" and can be broken...

i read something from gary semics i think was like its cool to downshift cause theres no load on the gears but when accelerating use clutch.

I have looked at like this . If I was at a stop and grabbed a handful of throttle , then backed it off and then kicked it in gear as long as the rear wheel broke lose the motor wouldnt stall and the gear box didnt get the full load of torque by not useing the clutch . Try that on my streetbike (see avatar ) I be in trouble .

While moving , I use the clutch most of the time ,naturally when tired I prob use less . When I raced (nearly 50 weekends a year) I never had one trans problem .

Again try the same on a road bike where the wheel doesnt break lose (it better not anyways) and some wear and tear going to happen . Since you probably are not going to demolish a gearbox in any one attempt , all you can do is add to the wear at a faster rate .