Sign in to follow this  

Anyone running Metzeler Karoo 2 Rear Tires?

A few weeks ago I put on some Metzler Sahara 3's. The rear is the 130/80/17. It fits just fine (it's only a few millimeters different from the stock size). I like them so far, but have not tried any off-road riding yet. On road they are better than the stock tires--I hope they wear well because they are dammed expensive.

good luck,

dave

Hey moto psycho if you get those Trelleborg tires, lt us know how they do on wet pavement! I have a trials type knobbie on my little Honda CL100. The tire worked good in the snow and off-road, but it was slicker-than-snot on a wet road. However, that was a mid-70's technology tire as well.

I put a Metzler Sahara 3 on when the rear Trailwing wore out and I loved it. Much better on the street and dirt. Not so great in slick mud. Then I put on a set of Pirelle MT21s which were great offroad but noisy and so so on the street. But they wear out fast, I got about 2000miles out of them. Then I went with a set of Metzler Sahara 3s and I like them even better as a set. Great for just about everything. I have 2000+ miles on them and the front looks new and the back just shows a little wear, a true 50/50 dual sport tire.

Mister Twister, you may consider going on to the BMW forum.

The Metzler is very popular on Beemers.

I was looking at these tires and would appreciate some first hand reviews if there is anyone using them. See attached link.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5374/ITEM/Metzeler-MCE-Karoo-2-Rear-Tire.aspx

They have it in a 130/80R-17 for 70.99 will that fit on the bike? The stock tire is 120/90-17.

:)

I tried a set of Metzler Karoos. Pretty sure that the rear was the 130/80.

I was not impressed. They hooked up well when new, but wore very quickly, and were complete junk when even slightly worn. This is based on primary off-road use.

The Dunlop D606 is my preferred tire for 90/10 off/on-road. I also like the Pirelli MT21 for the same uses. I buy either depending on the price I can get them for.

Jaon

Hey moto psycho if you get those Trelleborg tires, lt us know how they do on wet pavement! I have a trials type knobbie on my little Honda CL100. The tire worked good in the snow and off-road, but it was slicker-than-snot on a wet road. However, that was a mid-70's technology tire as well.

i will be getting a pair the start of april, no-one atall seems ot have reviewed them, so i think ill be the 1st!!!

Thats the tire on my husky te610 its wearing very fast.And I only have 900 miles on it.The fronts ok but I'm looking to replace the back one already:banghead:

Thats the tire on my husky te610 its wearing very fast.And I only have 900 miles on it.The fronts ok but I'm looking to replace the back one already:banghead:

Ditto. I have an '09 TE610. The back tends to lose grip in the corners on gravel. I don't trust it very much.

I took the front off before I had 5 miles on it. I use a Pirelli Scorpion XC MH on the front and I'm about to put the same on the rear. It is a deep knobby that works on the road better than any other tire I've tried.

http://www.procycledepot.com/PIRELLI_SCORPION_XCMH-8-10285-88392.html

Yes, 130/80-17 will fit no problem.

I considered the Karoo II's but couldn't find the size I was after when it came time to purchase... so I'm now running Continental Twinduro TCK-80 tires and find them to be very good offroad, and much better than you'd think on the pavement.

This is a good reference for lots of tires, but I don't think it specificall mentions the Karoo II:

http://www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcycles/klr650/tires

Yeah, I think at the end of the day you get what you pay for... Karoo's may be a little cheaper, but they won't last as long. So the price per mile might actually work out to be the same in the end.

I haven't personally tried them, but have read about them in other forums. From what I've read they are ok, but wear quickly. They are not as good at the TKC80's.