Sign in to follow this  

difference between 07-08-09

Im looking at getting my first ktm

Im unsure of what has changed from 07 til now. im planning to get a bike ride it til the 2010s are out.

ive found deals on all 3 years obviously the 07 is the cheapest. all 3 in very similar condition and similar options.

What has changed between them what would you do?

What model are you looking at? Depending which one there were drastic changes, and some had minimal ones.

08 - slightly heavier flywheel, slightly better power, longer fork springs to keep the forks higher in the stroke. I think something or the other in the motor was beefed up for reliability (someone confirm this please). That sums up the most important changes, oh and the fork guards wrap around.

09 stiffere springs back and front if i'm not mistaken, and a new configuration on the rear shock which from all that i have read, is much better than the previous years. Forks also got great reviews also.

I probably left out one or two things, but to me those are most important. If you are going to have the suspension revalved anyway by someone like Mx-tech, then i would look for a left over 08 and use the savings to get the suspension done.

As for me, my 08 is for sale and i'm trying to land an 09 kawi.

08 - slightly heavier flywheel, slightly better power, longer fork springs to keep the forks higher in the stroke. I think something or the other in the motor was beefed up for reliability (someone confirm this please). That sums up the most important changes, oh and the fork guards wrap around.

09 stiffere springs back and front if i'm not mistaken, and a new configuration on the rear shock which from all that i have read, is much better than the previous years. Forks also got great reviews also.

I probably left out one or two things, but to me those are most important. If you are going to have the suspension revalved anyway by someone like Mx-tech, then i would look for a left over 08 and use the savings to get the suspension done.

As for me, my 08 is for sale and i'm trying to land an 09 kawi.

I'm almost positive the flywheel is the same in 07-08 but more weight was added to the balance shaft in 08 resulting in smoother power.... I think the rest of the motor is the same....possibly a different exhaust cam profile in 08?? not sure about that...

What about the 07s comparison?

Also if i change to white plastics does anyone sell the white pieces for around the air box so theres not mix matched orange?

I plan to have mx tech do suspension work as well.

I'm almost positive the flywheel is the same in 07-08 but more weight was added to the balance shaft in 08 resulting in smoother power.... I think the rest of the motor is the same....possibly a different exhaust cam profile in 08?? not sure about that...

More weight was added to the crank and thus the balancer gear was beefed up. -08 also got new exh. cam and new clutch basket (to sum up the essential engine changes).

Go with the -08. It´s a better bike than the -07. Or go nuts and get an -09. It´s better still.

KTM hardparts sells the airbox pieces in orange, white, or black. Only the '07s have orange stock; the '08s and '09s come black.

so the 08 is gonna be seat of the pants better feeling bike? the 07 has 30 hrs on it. so i guess almost new. guy worked for a ktm dealer.

just trying to make the right buy. 2010s are just around the corner.

so the 08 is gonna be seat of the pants better feeling bike? the 07 has 30 hrs on it. so i guess almost new. guy worked for a ktm dealer.

just trying to make the right buy. 2010s are just around the corner.

then just buy it based on economics. I would suspect the 08 to cost a bit more but have better resale price come this fall and be an easier sell as most people who buy ktm's know ktm's and would want an 08 over an 07. Also being 4 speeds most non-track/non-ktm guys wouldn't look into it (even though they do fine on the trails/woods). Your potential buyer is most likely already familiar with ktm's and wants it for the track and will want the 08 more and not just because it's one year newer. My friend has had a tough time selling his 07 450 sxf. Unless the 07 is crazy cheap I would say 08 as I also suspect the 09 is asking pretty decent money but will go down in value pretty good once the 2010's are on the floor.

If its a good deal on the 07 I'd buy it in a second. I love mine.

I really doubt you'll notice a huge difference between the 07 and 08, but you probably would on the 09.

My '07 had an oil pump pin fall out. When the dealer rebuilt it, they put all new '08 parts. The bottom end was better and I was able to run a tooth small on the rear sprocket.

As for the suspension, I picked up a left over '08 for my son. But after MX Tech install new springs and revalving it's perfect.

The '08 front suspension has the same issues as the '07. Initial stroke is fine, but from mid to bottoming, it just blows thru the stroke. A revalve is needed on the '08.

well the 07 has 39 hrs. with new crank and topend. supposedly done just to do it at 35 hrs.

the guy wants 4grand.

all the 08s are 5500-6grand.

well the 07 has 39 hrs. with new crank and topend. supposedly done just to do it at 35 hrs.

the guy wants 4grand.

all the 08s are 5500-6grand.

My spidey senses are tingling....

That's seems like a lot of work "just to do it" for a bike with 39 hours on it...something doesn't add up...

just sayin.....

I paid 4k for my 07 with 10 hours and felt like I got a great deal, that was last September.

New crank and new top end at 35 hrs smells fishy to me as well. I'd keep looking, you'll find a better one for the same price.