Intake Valves

Sorry I don't have much time for searching but i got my bike back from the mechanic and apparantly my intake valves are shot and cant be adjusted to the right specs. So instead of paying 600$ does anyone know a site i can order new Intake valves and everything needed.

You can order them through Thumpertalk, $329.60 for all 4 valves and the spring kit. All you would need aside from those parts are valve stem seals, head gasket and you'd have to get the valve seats cut to match the new valves. Here are the OEM prices from service Honda :

Head gasket #12251-MEB-671 $17.73

Intake V. stem seals #12209-KL4-005 $13.26 (for 2)

Exhaust V. stem seals #12209-GB4-682 $8.34 (for 2)

Total for aftermarket valves etc. $368.93

In case you're interested, new top end from service Honda :

Piston 13101-MEN-730 $64.49

Piston pin 13111-MEN-730 $16.32

Piston pin C-clip 13112-MAT-000 $2.28 (for 2)

Piston rings (set) 13011-MEB-670 $28.07

Base gasket 12191-MEB-671 $6.43

Total to replace piston $117.59

OEM prices from service Honda :

In. valve 14711-MEB-610 $93.90 (for 2)

In. valve guide 12205-MEB-P00 $18.46 (for 2)

In. cotter valve 14781-MEB-670 $6.36 (for 2)

In. valve spring 14751-MEB-670 $12.26

In. V. stem seals 12204-KL4-005 $9.92 (for 2)

In. valve spring seat 14775-KGB-610 $4.86 (for 2)

Ex. valve 14721-MEB-670 $72.94 (for 2)

Ex. valve guide 12204-MEB-P00 $18.46 (for 2)

Ex. Cotter valve 14781-MAT-000 $4.86 (for 2)

Ex. valve spring 14752-MEB-670 $12.26

Ex. V. stem seals 12209-GB4-682 $8.34 (for 2)

Ex. valve spring seat 14775-KGB-610 $4.86 (for 2)

OEM Valves/spring kit/seals/head gasket from service Honda $285.21

I've got the Kibblewhite valve's/spring kit in my '05 and haven't had any trouble, although I've read on the forum that some people have. There's also Ferrea aftermarket valves to consider.

Thumpertalk parts link

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2008/default.asp?p=427

Service Honda parts fiche 2003 CRF450R

http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2003&model=CRF450R&fveh=3349

I hope it's okay to list OEM prices from other sites here ?

Hope that helps ?

I would buy the valves/springs/retainers/locks from Ron Hamp on here, then ship the head to MXtime.com and have Dave re-cut the valves seats, check the guides, and install the new valves.

You can also buy all the parts from Mxtime so it's a one shot deal.

Whatever you do, I'd go with stainless intake valve and springs. I wouldn't put titanium valves back in there.

there is a free fix for this...pull the shims out and file them down for the necessary clearance...this is not recommended as the shims can break and cause damage and its only good for a couple rides but it will give you a chance to keep riding the bike while you save up for new valves... just a thought...

there is a free fix for this...pull the shims out and file them down for the necessary clearance...this is not recommended as the shims can break and cause damage and its only good for a couple rides but it will give you a chance to keep riding the bike while you save up for new valves... just a thought...

That is probably one of the worst peices of advice that I have seen passed in this forum:bonk:

If you need to reshim, just spend the money on new ones instead of hacking up your old ones

That is probably one of the worst peices of advice that I have seen passed in this forum:bonk:

If you need to reshim, just spend the money on new ones instead of hacking up your old ones

Um you probably didn't read the whole post but he said there isn't a shim thin enough to give the specified amount of clearance...:banghead: You probably aren't a Sunday racer if you haven't done something like this to get 1 last ride or compete in a race the next day...But then again you probably pay someone else to work on your bike for you...

BTW you spelled pieces wrong....?

That is not a lot more than I was quoted for getting my seats cut and having OEM valves installed. Who has first hand experiences with these valves. And by first hand experience,I mean you own or have owned a bike that uses them.

The problem is that the OEM Titanium valves are not compatible with the seat material, so the valves mushroom rapidly. They changed the seat material in 06 I believe. That's why you want to replace the valves with stainless steel. I had major problems with my 02 until I bought Kibblewhite valves for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my Intake replaced and the exhausts were fine. While they were in there they cleaned the whole head, replaced all the seals, and replaced the intake valves. They check the tension on the springs and i didnt have to replace them. Therefor cutting my cost on the work down to $250 with SS kibblewhite intakes. Something to see if your local Honda shop can do, worth a try worked for me.

I am very interested in this. Do they use an 07' + head? I have an 06' and would love to benefit from the newer 07' head.

I can sell my used 06' head on ebay for a solid $100 and this seems like a good way to go... or would it be cheaper to buy everything from service honda or somewhere and build my own?

I am very interested in this. Do they use an 07' + head? I have an 06' and would love to benefit from the newer 07' head.

I can sell my used 06' head on ebay for a solid $100 and this seems like a good way to go... or would it be cheaper to buy everything from service honda or somewhere and build my own?

It's cheaper to buy all the parts from Service Honda and build your own head.