Sign in to follow this  

07 wr250f general maintenance

According to the Owners Manual the initial oil/ filter and valve inspection/adjustment should be at 600 miles.I have 20 hours and 250 miles on the engine.

Do you agree with the manual?

If not, how often under general trail riding conditions should these two important services be done?

I did the Recommended Mods(Dirt Rider Magazine) after initial 6 hours on engine...resulting in major improvement in performance.Please advise?

Hey, The guy I ride with has an 07. Definitely has less than 250 miles on it but we reshimmed this past weekend. The intakes were pretty snug and the exhaust we did cuz we were there

clean the air filter every ride and the oil every other ride. if it is dusty i change the oil every ride. i used to be against this idea, that is until i did not change the oil in not one but two bikes in which i had checked the valves in before a race. the race was very dusty, but my method at the time was oil every 10 hours and filter every other ride. at the next valve inspection, both bikes needed to be shimmed. dust is what will kill your valves. use a cheap oil like shell rotella and change it often, it's like 11 bucks a gallon. one bike had 110 hours and the other had 42, yet they both went out of spec at the same time, it had to be the dust.

clean the air filter every ride and the oil every other ride. if it is dusty i change the oil every ride. i used to be against this idea, that is until i did not change the oil in not one but two bikes in which i had checked the valves in before a race. the race was very dusty, but my method at the time was oil every 10 hours and filter every other ride. at the next valve inspection, both bikes needed to be shimmed. dust is what will kill your valves. use a cheap oil like shell rotella and change it often, it's like 11 bucks a gallon. one bike had 110 hours and the other had 42, yet they both went out of spec at the same time, it had to be the dust.

Sorry, how does changing your oil solve a dust problem? Wouldn't that be air cleaner related? There should be no way for dust to get in the oil unless something is pretty wrong somewhere. Have I misunderstood your post? 10 hours is a single weekend of trail riding for me, seems overkill to change the oil that often.

I work on 500km max between oil changes, less if riding slow steep single track. I replace the oil filter each time I change the oil, and I use Motul 5100 which is a middle of the range oil. Air filter each ride unless it is clean (riding in wet conditions which is rare here). Valves were checked on my bike at 1000km and hadn't moved at all. I wouldn't expect any valve problems for at least another 2000km.

congrats on your 07 GREAT bike, before you do anything install an engine timer , 1

do your airfilter after every trail ride (have 2 and swap them)

2 common sense is best with oil changes, if normal trail riding do oil every 10hrs, enduro racing or mx id do mine between events.ive even changed mine after 1 race (30min)as i was that hard on the bike

3 take all your swing arm shock linkages apart and grease them, at least every year as they are very prone to siezing

ive got a 03 wrf which i bought second hand (bike was abused) i totally rebuilt it in 2006 installed engine timer and do regular scheduled maintenance since then. Bikes been running fantastic , about 6 months ago went to a je 290 kit :) and the old piston and barrel looked brand new, my valves havent moved in all that time:ride: ive got a friend who sold a 07 as he feared the cost of a 4stroke rebuild,hes now on a 2stroke which eats petrol,plus cost of oil and constant spark plugs:moon: my rebuilt bike is stronger than the day i picked it up, hauls ass and that 1.1 litres of oil every 5-10 hrs and air filter oil $$$$ every ride is nothing:thumbsup: if looked after properly these bikes are BULLETPROOF:ride:

oil and filter after 300 miles of trailing(or more depending on type of terrain/riding)

air filter every ride

chain lube and slack every ride (i even lube halfway through the ride)

bleed shocks every ride

tire preasure every ride

rinse off every other ride

spokes every other ride

spark plug every six rides

coolant top off as needed and replace every summer

grease every time i am bored

valves? someday (overrated). i just jinx'd myself

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE OIL TANK BOLTS

its a dirtbike.change the oil responsably and it will run until it has a third owner.

ride safe and fun

07 wr250f owner

• Like 1

bleed shocks every ride

spokes every other ride

Can you give detailed instructions on these or point me to somewhere that does?

bleed shocks every ride

Do you put the bike on a stand, open the screws on top of the forks, and then close the screws?

spokes every other ride

How exactly do you check them and how do you fix any loose ones? How tight do they need to be?

Just drain and refill with 50/50 coolant and water? Is there more to it than that?

Sorry, how does changing your oil solve a dust problem? Wouldn't that be air cleaner related? There should be no way for dust to get in the oil unless something is pretty wrong somewhere. Have I misunderstood your post? 10 hours is a single weekend of trail riding for me, seems overkill to change the oil that often.

I work on 500km max between oil changes, less if riding slow steep single track. I replace the oil filter each time I change the oil, and I use Motul 5100 which is a middle of the range oil. Air filter each ride unless it is clean (riding in wet conditions which is rare here). Valves were checked on my bike at 1000km and hadn't moved at all. I wouldn't expect any valve problems for at least another 2000km.

trust me, dust gets in your motor! changing your oil a lot limits the amount in your motor and prevents it from acting like sand paper on all your moving parts. as i said, i used to tell guys they were idiots who were depleting the the worlds resources by changing their oil so much, but they had the last laugh on me. i changed my oil on 2 bikes and checked the valves before a race, all was good. i then put a race and a total of 10 hours on both bikes, then i changed the oil and checked the valves. when i drained the oil i put what came out first in a white paper cup, you could see the dirt in it. i next checked the valves and they were out of spec on both bikes. do you not find it odd that 2 bikes would go out of spec at the same time, one with over a hundred hours and one with 42? i used to use expensive oil thinking it would save me in costly maintnance, but when dirt is involved, spendy oil is a waste of money. and please, do not try to tell me it's because i don't know how to maintain my bikes, because i do. the race i was involved in was very dusty, that flour fine kind of dust. i changed the air filter after the race but like you did not think dirt can get in the motor and ran it until it's scheduled time. i have no problem with waiting 10 hours to change oil as i did before, if there is no dust, but that is rarely the case. i feel it is better to just be safe and change it regarless of hours and do it as i explained in my other post. i don't see any problems with your schedule. i to change the oil fiter each time. the air filter is how a lot of dust gets in the motor, it can't get it all. i hope you don't take all this the wrong way, i was only tyring to tell the original poster that it's better to be safe than sorry by doing it more often.

trust me, dust gets in your motor! changing your oil a lot limits the amount in your motor and prevents it from acting like sand paper on all your moving parts. as i said, i used to tell guys they were idiots who were depleting the the worlds resources by changing their oil so much, but they had the last laugh on me. i changed my oil on 2 bikes and checked the valves before a race, all was good. i then put a race and a total of 10 hours on both bikes, then i changed the oil and checked the valves. when i drained the oil i put what came out first in a white paper cup, you could see the dirt in it. i next checked the valves and they were out of spec on both bikes. do you not find it odd that 2 bikes would go out of spec at the same time, one with over a hundred hours and one with 42? i used to use expensive oil thinking it would save me in costly maintnance, but when dirt is involved, spendy oil is a waste of money. and please, do not try to tell me it's because i don't know how to maintain my bikes, because i do. the race i was involved in was very dusty, that flour fine kind of dust. i changed the air filter after the race but like you did not think dirt can get in the motor and ran it until it's scheduled time. i have no problem with waiting 10 hours to change oil as i did before, if there is no dust, but that is rarely the case. i feel it is better to just be safe and change it regarless of hours and do it as i explained in my other post. i don't see any problems with your schedule. i to change the oil fiter each time. the air filter is how a lot of dust gets in the motor, it can't get it all. i hope you don't take all this the wrong way, i was only tyring to tell the original poster that it's better to be safe than sorry by doing it more often.

All good, thanks for replying in the same way I asked - I was not criticising, just asking. :)

Really the only way dust could be able to get into the engine is through the air filter or in the petrol, and in both cases the oil should still be separate. I think your valve problem would be from the super fine dust getting through the air filter rather than any other way. That said, there is no harm in short intervals between oil changes, in fact it is more likely to do good than harm.

As far as dust or dirt in the actual oil, the oil filter would get a lot of that as well.

Can you give detailed instructions on these or point me to somewhere that does?

bleed shocks every ride

Do you put the bike on a stand, open the screws on top of the forks, and then close the screws?

spokes every other ride

How exactly do you check them and how do you fix any loose ones? How tight do they need to be?

Just drain and refill with 50/50 coolant and water? Is there more to it than that?

to bleed the forks you put the bike on a stand and unscrew the top off-center screws and realease the air.motion pro makes some good push button fork bleeders for about 15 bucks

the spokes need to be " pinky " finger tight,i think my manual sais about 2 lbs, you can check on youtube for that one

coolant i use maxima cool-aide its al ready pre mixed.make sure radiator is top'd off and reservoir tank about half way.