Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Did J-Law Prove Anything?

No one started a J-Law thread following his impressive second place finish in Daytona, so I thought I would.

I've had mixed feelings about the kid all season. He's clearly a jack*ss, rough around the edges and not necessarily a positive example for the sport or younger kids.

However, what he accomplished in Daytona deserves a lot of respect. Fastest qualifying lap time, yielding to Reed and acknowledging he was out of shape and couldn't keep up with Reed's pace and capping it off with a second place finish. The kid is talented and all of his troubles aside could prove to be a real threat to Stewart's championship.

He earned a few respect points after Daytona, but he still has quite a deficit. I hope to see him run a full season next year in the Supercross class.

i think he is talented

he needs to mature some,i dont know if he has anyone around him to help him stay focused though

Well, while some may argue that all he did was cut the track, I disagree. Yeah, he did cut, but then he proved his speed by moving from 4th to 1st in about 3 laps. He then gapped the field until exhaustion set in and he was passed by the second fastest guy in the business. If he can develop more stamina, he will be a podium contender every race he isn't ducking a drug test or suspended from

I know I know...not another "what if"....

BUT

Reed went from what....16th "ish" to 1st.

"what if" J-Law didnt cut the track? Sure he went from 4th to 1st in 3 laps. But in the video you can clearly see he gains at least 10 - 13 positions. So, this now raises the question, could he still have gone from 15th to 1st?

Did he prove anything? During the race RC's comment was something like "him being out there isn't necessary", it was funny at the time. What he did prove is that when you have nothing to lose you might as well just go for it, and he did. Because of past actions I still consider him a little puke, but his ride was very impressive given his conditioning, so to me he proved that he is DEFINATELY a contender if he stays on the straight and narrow (tall order). The fact that he let CR go by and didn't intentionally interfere with the points race also says alot. And finally, how could you not like him in the podium interview, he handled it near perfectly although he could have thanked some of his supporters.

I new he would run up top but i wasnt sure how far up there. He still needs to grow up a bit but other then those junk moves he makes i like him. I think if he sticks with 450s it will change his attitude a bit towards the positive direction. Im proud of him though. and screw all the people that say he cut the track because im sure you would do the same thing in that situation. :)

he proved he belongs in the sport. 1st rave in the 450 class and he has already has a better result than RV

i think getting the best lap time in timed practice by over a ½ second over James was more impressive, especially daytona

338 should race the 450 outdoors

I guess if he proved anything ,it was that he does know how to ride at a winning pace . That being said , if he would have went down and worked his way thru the pack (not around) to where ever I would have been more impressed . He out of shape by the standards set by Reed and JS to name a few . He works his butt off and gets serious ,things can happen . Reminds me a bit of Ron Lechien /Damon Bradshaw /Jeff Matasavich back yesteryear ,needs a good handler more than a friend (jmho) rather than Mark Barnett , Hannah, Donnie Hansen (the later crowd among the ones that let there job do the talking ,not the off track stuff)

Of course he proved something. Beating JS in practice time was monumental. Also, aside from his bad-boy behaviour, he obviously worked his ass off in the past few months. Nobody rides that fast for 15 laps on pure talent alone. Like Lechien people tend to think he does nothing, goofs offs, and only rides his bike at races.

I think he proved he can cut the course, get tired, and then roll over and let someone else win. Yay for him. :)

His practice times were impressive tho. Maybe he's the TO of motocross.

Did he prove anything? During the race RC's comment was something like "him being out there isn't necessary", it was funny at the time. What he did prove is that when you have nothing to lose you might as well just go for it, and he did. Because of past actions I still consider him a little puke, but his ride was very impressive given his conditioning, so to me he proved that he is DEFINATELY a contender if he stays on the straight and narrow (tall order). The fact that he let CR go by and didn't intentionally interfere with the points race also says alot. And finally, how could you not like him in the podium interview, he handled it near perfectly although he could have thanked some of his supporters.

One of us misunderstood that from RC. I heard something more like "racing hard for position (from Alessi for 1st) isn't necessary" (that early in the race).

Of course he proved something. Beating JS in practice time was monumental. Also, aside from his bad-boy behaviour, he obviously worked his ass off in the past few months. Nobody rides that fast for 15 laps on pure talent alone. Like Lechien people tend to think he does nothing, goofs offs, and only rides his bike at races.

I imagine he does more than ride ,just look at all the people that he has ticked off :):banghead: . I really hope he gets it right . Wish nothing better . Maybe continue and earn a spot on the MXdN ...thats a long way target . Point is , the goal is possible . I will admit though , I didnt see him pass anyone , so I dont think he is "National" ready at this point . Cmon...real racing motos ,not 20 minute dashes .

He proved that you can mix good genes with a lifetime of lazy, rule-less living and second chances and still come out ahead (well, technically 2nd) every once and awhile.

Neither I nor a lot of people on here gave him much of a chance to finish even in the top 10. I think he put in quite an impressive ride this week, cutting the track or not. With a little more training he might be a threat to podium consistently.

Did anyone else notice those butter-teeth when Erin was interviewing him on the podium?

Well one thing he proved is that Enzo know how to tune KYB suspension. :)

Everyone who says the reason he did so well was because of cutting the track is an idiot.

If you were Jason, would you;

A: Cut the track, and return in the first safe position available

or

B: Go full throttle into the other riders and bikes laying on the ground.

Simple, no one would charge trough that pack of riders, and J-Law did make the best out of out, both for himself, and his competitors.

And even if he cut the track, he had the fastest qualifying time, and advanced positions and kept those positions trough most of the race.

I've never liked, or disliked, J-Law, but even with all his troubles, he is one of the most talented riders there is. I hope he can go a full season, and I am waiting for his podium next week.

he proved that he's damn impressive when he wants to be.....

ask us again this weekend.......although he looked very good.......i'd like to see if he can do it two weeks in a row.......ESPECIALLY if there ISN"T a first turn yard sale that basically holds everybody up.....

At then end of the day he is defending lites champion and 2nd place podium of Daytona SX.

He has proven that he is no fluke. Winning is the fastest way to squash trash talk and prove a point, all else is just a bunch of noise.

JLaw is an American Badass!!!

At then end of the day he is defending lites champion and 2nd place podium of Daytona SX.

He has proven that he is no fluke. Winning is the fastest way to squash trash talk and prove a point, all else is just a bunch of noise.

JLaw is an American Badass!!!

and just how many points has this so called american badass earned defending his title......:):banghead::foul::p:banghead:

Everyone who says the reason he did so well was because of cutting the track is an idiot.

If you were Jason, would you;

A: Cut the track, and return in the first safe position available

or

B: Go full throttle into the other riders and bikes laying on the ground.

Simple, no one would charge trough that pack of riders, and J-Law did make the best out of out, both for himself, and his competitors.

And even if he cut the track, he had the fastest qualifying time, and advanced positions and kept those positions trough most of the race.

I've never liked, or disliked, J-Law, but even with all his troubles, he is one of the most talented riders there is. I hope he can go a full season, and I am waiting for his podium next week.

Or do like you would have done if crashed , get going around the pile up . If the checkard flag was 10 feet infront of the mishap ,would he have cut the track , avoiding the turn and the flag ? Nope..he would have stepped off ,and rode around the right .

All I can say is he rode well . Let see him seperate himself from the self imposed problems he started . :)

Besides , no one said anything is bad about being one and done . A has-been still is better than a never been . ...its his to decide -AGAIN :banghead: