Sign in to follow this  

front brake issues

Hey guys

Hope can help.

At a H&H the other week i took a lil tumble, no major. I dropped the bike on it's left (caliper side) on rocky ground. Whilst I was down another guy came along and down the same, and landed on me, hitting the bike on it's right side (cylinder side).

From then on my front brake was foobarred. It had no pressure, however you could pump it up and get most pressure back. a few seconds after not using it tho pressure would drop again.......somehow air had got into the system.

No obvious leaks anywhere, but didn't really check the floor of the fall.

So today, bled the brake, obviously load of air came out, although after the first chunk of air came out, fluid wouldnt pump through for a bit. anyway, bled the brake and initially it seemed ok, but then lost pressure. tried several times and still no joy.

So air is getting in somewhere..... I sorted the bladder in the cyclinder, stuck it round the edge of the lid to get a good seal.....

So any one got any tips or ideas??

(it's a 06 KXF 250)

My first guess would be a tiny crack in the cable our caliper. try taking the banjo bolt out of the caliper drain fluid and try it all again I had to pump mine for a while to get all the air out .:)

Hey guys

Hope can help.

At a H&H the other week i took a lil tumble, no major. I dropped the bike on it's left (caliper side) on rocky ground. Whilst I was down another guy came along and down the same, and landed on me, hitting the bike on it's right side (cylinder side).

From then on my front brake was foobarred. It had no pressure, however you could pump it up and get most pressure back. a few seconds after not using it tho pressure would drop again.......somehow air had got into the system.

No obvious leaks anywhere, but didn't really check the floor of the fall.

So today, bled the brake, obviously load of air came out, although after the first chunk of air came out, fluid wouldnt pump through for a bit. anyway, bled the brake and initially it seemed ok, but then lost pressure. tried several times and still no joy.

So air is getting in somewhere..... I sorted the bladder in the cyclinder, stuck it round the edge of the lid to get a good seal.....

So any one got any tips or ideas??

(it's a 06 KXF 250)

Take the cover off the master cylinder and push the brake pads apart. This will make the fluid go backwards and UP through the system(the way bubbles like to travel).

Replace the fluid if it is visibly darker than fresh fluid. Dark fluid is contaminated with moisture. Just suck it out with a syringe or similar, add fresh fluid and start pumping the pads out again. Make sure the cylinder does not gulp air. Keep it half full while pumping the handle.

When this is done, you can bleed through the nipple at the caliper to get the old fluid out that was still in the hose (not for the bubbles).

Make sure rotor is straight.

Make sure caliper pins are straight and greased inside their rubber boots.

Make sure pad sliding pin has no nicks or gouges. Replace it if it shows the tiniest wear, it´s important.

Good luck:thumbsup: