Sign in to follow this  

Broken navicular in foot anyone?

I broke my navicular Sept 28 last year, Its healed somewhat ok but still giving me problems. I know some other people in here have had the same injury, wondering how the outcome was??

I'm only doing 1/2 days at work right now, it aggravates my foot too much to be on it any longer. I also have a big limp if I take any normal sized steps. I have a hard time sleeping at night if I aggravate it too much. I am wondering how much more time it needs? Maybe Dr Mark has an opinion? Thanks

What type of break at the navicular? I broke mine in early Feb of 2008. Surgery on March 17 08 for a fusion to talus. It was broken in three places with some splinters. I was casted for 3 months, PT for 2 more and back to work on 7-15-08. I kinda faked it for a while but now it mostly feels a little stiff in the morning or if I sit too long. It's tender on top at times and still a little swollen. I wear a 1/2 size larger shoe now. I could jog but I didn't jog before my wreck. Once I get warmed up I don't feel it but I know I still favor it which is more mental than anything else. That has made my leg a little weaker. I still haven't been back to riding, I hated being off work that long. I am a fireman out here in California so I had to be 85% before I came back to work. That is a common area for a stress fracture that heals in 6 weeks so I guess yours was a little more traumatic.

My break was bad, the navicular was is several pieces. Surgery was an option but after 3 opinions we decided not to have it done. I didn't like the idea of fusion but now the surgeon is recommending to have it done. I am starting to think I may never walk right again.. I may need to retrain for a new career as work is difficult. I can walk on it for half a day not too bad, but I do pay for it later in the day.

I was worried about the fusion since I had it done as soon as the break was discovered. I went to 2 docs, 1 an ortho guy who missed it completely. It was a month before a podiatrist found it. They X-rayed my foot with my weight on it and then it was really obvious. From there it was a rush to surgery. I didn't have time to really search around for another opinion or a different surgeon. I hope this doesn't freak you out but my surgeon was a little concerned for healing since I waited for so long. Hearing your story now, I'm glad I had it done. I don't think you have anything to lose with a fusion now. For what it's worth my doc said this kind of fracture is rare. How did you do it anyway? I looped out and I think I planted my foot. This caused my foot to flex up to where it couldn't bend and I think it caused the navic to crack.

A rider cut underneath me mid air, I landed the back of his seat, fell the distance down the landing and I'm sure I planted my foot like you did. My bone broke in several places.

I was told there was a good chance surgery wasn't necessary as I would benefit more later on if I just let it heal on its own. It didn't heal very good though.. maybe it just needs more time? :) On a scale of 1-10 I say I am about a 6 right now. Its been 6 months. Where would you say you are at with the surgery? Are you happy with your foot now?

I broke my navicular in 6 places august 13th of 2008. I had surgery a week later and had 6 pins and an external fixator until december of 2008. I just started "walking" in shoes around a month and a half ago and i still have a pretty bad limp as well. It feels fine most of the time but i just have alot of stiffness and some trouble walking.

I broke my navicular in 6 places august 13th of 2008. I had surgery a week later and had 6 pins and an external fixator until december of 2008. I just started "walking" in shoes around a month and a half ago and i still have a pretty bad limp as well. It feels fine most of the time but i just have alot of stiffness and some trouble walking.

So our injuries happened around the same time. Mine was in "many" pieces as well. I got these rocker sole shoes made by MBT shoes, check them out as I find they help walking quite alot. The sole is firm so your mid foot doesn't bend when you walk, plus the rocker aids in your stepping forward. http://www.swissmasai.ca/

A rider cut underneath me mid air, I landed the back of his seat, fell the distance down the landing and I'm sure I planted my foot like you did. My bone broke in several places.

I was told there was a good chance surgery wasn't necessary as I would benefit more later on if I just let it heal on its own. It didn't heal very good though.. maybe it just needs more time? :) On a scale of 1-10 I say I am about a 6 right now. Its been 6 months. Where would you say you are at with the surgery? Are you happy with your foot now?

I'm okay with it more than happy. Like I said, I am able to continue on with my career when I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to. You are young so I think you would heal better then me. I already had some arthritis in that ankle and casting made it real stiff too. I had the fusion and arth to rehab from. When I focus on exercising it specifically it feels like I never hurt it. I think I am about 90%. I think my age has a little to do with recovery but I think by summer I won't even think about it. I'll see if I can get some x-rays.

I have 12 weeks of physio left so hopefully that will be a huge help in up upcoming months. I have my fingers crossed I will get to 90% without going back in for surgery. I can't take normal sized steps without a "stab" of pain, If I kinda shuffle along its ok. Do you use any special footwear?

I use orthotics that were made by my doc. I don't see what PT is going to do for you. It doesn't seem to be healing. With my break it was like adding another painful joint in my foot. i could feel bones moving around in there. I'm glad I go it fused.

Well Ill start with when i broke my left femur in may of 07. Thought i Stewart hit some sand on a raced out 99 RM125 and as i turned to bail off, the bike fell onto inside of my leg in i spiral broke the top of my left femur. I was air lifted to hospital after waiting in the middle of the desert for over two hours and they did an emergency surgery; inserted a rod through my knee and hammered it up to the top then put a screw through my knee and one into the top of my femur. I was released three days later and long story short was having a very rough recovery. Then when i was finally started to be able to get round somewhat, I wrecked my CR250 on a half pipe while warming it up. Unfortunately i was a moron and didn't have my boots on because i was in too big of a hurry to show off. I looped it and remembered lading on my ass but apparently my foot hit somewhere in between. I had to ride bike bike to truck since girlfriend and friend could not start my bike, i had them hold me up and i started and just road it back to truck. I try'ed chilling and letting my buddy ride but that only lasted for maybe ten minutes and they wanted to take me to emergency. So we went and they try'ed saying it was a bad sprang and treated my like shit! Sent me home said to ice it and stay off it for a couple weeks. I went home and at eleven O'clock that night i couldn't take it anymore it hurt too bad so i went to a different emergency room and they ended up finding a small fracture and basically told me the same thing but treated me allot better and actually gave me something for the pain. After a few weeks passed a managed to start walking again but still nothing seemed right i try'ed bearing it for some time in hopes it would get better when finally i went an orthopedic. They did an MRI and found that my navicular was broke and that i had three small fractures. They finally gave me something that actually helped the pain and a medical boot and i had to stay off of it for a while till they sent me to physical therapy. I finished it but failed to of the things and then my doc started talking about getting it fused. I dint like the idea but he said if i did not want to end up in a wheel chair by the time i was 50 then i would get it done. Long story short LOTS of complications in life and its now almost been a year since the accident i have not yet had the surgery and i'm living in complete hell every day!

I've been on the internet for awhile trying to find people with my type of injury.I have spent the last 2 years getting tested by every machine in Louisiana. MRI, CATSCAN etc,etc etc. Finally the orthopedic surgeons decided to open my whole foot/ankle up to do the exploratory surgery. I knew it had to do with my whole life riding motorbikes but too stubborn to go to a hospital. Well, Anyway 2 bones next to my navicular were broken and they had to shave my navicular down because alot of it was dead. Now it is fusing to another bone. Problems are my big toe and the tendon that goes to it is very painful and even thought im 5 weeks out my range of motion is horrible and im relly worried about my future abilities to walk. Can anyone give me any info on rehab time of what I should be expecting in the future. Thanks