Sign in to follow this  

1995 RM125 help

I've got a 95' RM125 and it seems to be a little low on power to me. I understand its a smaller engine. I took this bike in as a partial trade on a GSXR I sold last October. The kid said it had new rings last summer but you know how that goes. As far as I know its all stock except for FMF Fatty pipe and FMF Power Core silencer.

I am about 6'2" and weigh around 160-165 and I have to use the clutch just to pull a wheelie, 1st gear I can power it up at high rpm's but thats about it. Running wise it runs just fine and seems very reliable but I still think this bike has more potential. In 2000 I had 2 friends with a KX125 and a KTM 125 and not sure if they had any performance upgrades other than exhaust and I couldn't keep those bike on the ground if I layed into them.

I'd like to find a 250 this summer but still want to bump this one power wise and probably keep it also for a spare or for Nina to ride. (put her on it for the 1st time last weekend! She kept it in 1st gear but was still cool to get her on it.) Any help would be appreciated. If suggesting parts please let me know the cheapes places to order them. I always used to use Chaparral Motorsports in the past and not familar with any other companies.

An older bike like yours can be a money pit. Trust me, I've dumped some where around $3000 into my 97. So the first thing you should ask yourself is, "Am I going to keep this bike?" If you're like me and plan on having this 125 for a long time then open the wallet and wave goodbye. If it's something you'll be learning on and possible trading up to something bigger, then save your money and just ride.

After you decide here is a place to start:

1. You're probably going to need a top end.

2. Power valve will need to be cleaned and inspected.

3. Silencer most likely needs fresh packing.

4. You may want to pull apart the carb and see where the jetting is at.

5. Air Filter will probably need a cleaning or possible replacement.

Lets start off with these things for now. The TT store is always a great option when it comes to parts purchases. Also here is my rebuild thread, I think UA is getting sick of me reposting it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589429 Here is an example of a project that spiralled out of control.

After you decide here is a place to start:

1. You're probably going to need a top end.

2. Power valve will need to be cleaned and inspected.

3. Silencer most likely needs fresh packing.

4. You may want to pull apart the carb and see where the jetting is at.

5. Air Filter will probably need a cleaning or possible replacement.

QUOTE]

1. I figured the top end. Will probably go with a Wiseco Pro Lite pistom kit.

2. Could someone go into detail on this? I don't even know what the power valve is or where its at. Sorry:bonk:

3. Thought about that also and found packing for it already, still need to order it though.

4. How will I be able to tell? Are each of the jets marked? Do you know what size is stock so I will be able to tell?

5. I did the air filter right after getting the bike, thats good to go!

Thanks a million for advice and I sorry I ave so many questions. I am very mechanically inclined just not in the 2stroke category. With a little advice I should have no problem doing all this myself.

you know my 97 has good power but it wont really wheelie to well without clutch either but when i line it up against my friends 250f i can keep up with him and his is all souped up so i figured that it's prolly just fine... then again i am a begining rider... lol so if it's not running at full power that could be a good thing they sure are fun tho aren't they?

Her is a pic of your Power Valve. It's located at the front of the cylinder just above the expansion champer. There will be a cover with 4 small bolts. Pull the cover off while you have the cylinder off to do the top end. Once you have the cover off you will see lots and lots of spooge. Thats what needs to be cleaned.

The Wiseco is an excellent choices and yes the jets are labled. If you have the owners manuel, it should have the original jetting specs. Which brings up a good question, do you have the owers or a service manuel?