Sign in to follow this  

XR vs KTM vs Husky

Trying to gather some info and got my eyes open to 2 husky models today, TE610, which i know is a heavier DS bike but still very capable, and the TE510 which is a pretty much race bike with blinkers n lights, Im trying to find something else for a dual sport, Few bikes in consideration are XR650R, KTM 525/530 but prolly 07ish 525 for the FRC motor, and between these 2 huskies TE 510/610 I do think the 510 is an awesome looking bike!! what about some of the charachteristics of these 2 models and things to look for?? What about dual sport riding charachteristics also?? Just trying to get some good info on these and Pros and Cons from you guys as owners.

Thanks i appreciate it!!!

I am a brainwashed Husky lover for 38 years but, the 450/510 has a close ratio trans that is well suited for a expert rider racing thru the woods. An amature generally wants low gear lower that an expert and that leaves you wanting a taller top gear when you get on the road so that bike is in my mind not well suited for dual sport. (BTW I just sold a TE 450 and bought a TE 610). About the only limitation I can find with the 610 is steering radius, when the logging road ends at a gate and you want to turn around its a bit irritating, this seams common with DS bikes as they have so much stuff on them. Don't be totally spoked over the published weight on the 610, after you and your fork lift take the cat converter to the land fill and put a dirt bike muffler/SA on it the weight will be getting close the KTM numbers without the KTM racy iritants, aluminum kickstand being at the top of that list.

If your going to be more than 95% dirt the Husky 510

If your going to be more than 75% dirt the KTM 525

If your going to be less than 75% dirt the Husky 610

In the KTM's 525 is excellent, very wide ratio trans, 2008 530 has had some issues, 2009 aledgedly is fixed????

great input TY

and i know coming to a bike specific forum usually generates a one sided response but you helped out alot and will take any one sided husky info all day long LOL

I too love my Husky TE510, but if you lean toward the KTM for the wide ratio gearbox consider a close look at a Beta.....KTM RFS engine in a sexy Italian bike with suspension and handling that's better than a KTM.

Read some info from a previous post that these 510 bikes need some pretty fast coming services to include cam chains and some with connecting rods, along with complete top end rebuilds. This still stand true?? i sure dont wanna think about every 18months having to do some pricey stuff to the bike.

Read some info from a previous post that these 510 bikes need some pretty fast coming services to include cam chains and some with connecting rods, along with complete top end rebuilds. This still stand true?? i sure dont wanna think about every 18months having to do some pricey stuff to the bike.

I just bought a 09 TE 450 and studied every aspect of current Husky's and have never came accross any engine concerns- they are very durable.

by the way- Dave Hopkins- is a serious authority on these bikes- he knows ktms and husky's front to back. He's got alot of history with husky's and ktms. He specializes in engines and works on many many ktms- he rebuilt the head of my 2002 ktm RFS last spring:worthy:

Here's my take on reliability and ease of maintenence- from top to bottom

610 te

450/510 te

450/525 exc (rfs)

are looking at new almost new hardy used or abused- that will determine alot of what you will have to stick into a bike in the long run... your decision is going to by guided by where you plan to actually ride the bike coupled with how you want to ride it... I agree with Dave's take on dirt to street percentages- besides that they all feel different but are all good bikes. :)

i have an 07 te 510 and my buddy has an 07 525. both bikes have been ridden hard ( not beat ) in the woods, hare scrambles, enduros, super moto and dual sports. both are great bikes in my opinion and i would have no issue buying either one. as mentioned before the 08 ktm had some issues. if the husky had a wide ratio trans. like the ktm it would be absolutely the best bike ever built in my opinion. i think the the husky handles better in the tight stuff aswell as full out speed runs. they brake the same in my opinion.. atleast i cant tell a diff. if you are torn between a 510 and a 525 all i can say is ... GOOD LUCK LOL i was in the same boat until i cam across my 510 that was used with only 76 miles on her when i bought it. you are asking in a bike specific forum but i have ridden both and both are great BUT ...i LOVE my HUSKY. :) one other note ... its cool to show up to an event and only see a few huskies compared to maybe a hundred pumpkins. ktm deff did their marketing homework but husky is quickly gaining ground... :banghead: scott

Trying to gather some info and got my eyes open to 2 husky models today, TE610, which i know is a heavier DS bike but still very capable, and the TE510 which is a pretty much race bike with blinkers n lights, Im trying to find something else for a dual sport, Few bikes in consideration are XR650R, KTM 525/530 but prolly 07ish 525 for the FRC motor, and between these 2 huskies TE 510/610 I do think the 510 is an awesome looking bike!! what about some of the charachteristics of these 2 models and things to look for?? What about dual sport riding charachteristics also?? Just trying to get some good info on these and Pros and Cons from you guys as owners.

I'm debating the same question. I owned an '07 XR650L and a dual sported WR450F at the same time. The WR did everything great when 100% off road but it was not a bike I would want to ride 100 miles of pavement on. I usually hauled my WR where I was going to ride it and then used the dual sport aspect of it to mainly connect trails by riding on the pavement short sections or riding it on dirt roads where you needed to be street legal.

I rode the XRL 1,300 miles, all pavement, one weekend and it was fine but not nearly as comfortable as my BMW GSA. The XRL handled fire roads and 4x4 trails well but wasn't as good for whoops and technical trails as the WR.

I view the WR450F as a similiar bike to the 510TE and view the 610TE as a better XR650L. I haven't ridden a 510 or 610 yet but I hear great reports about both bikes from this site and advrider.

I'm leaning toward the 610TE because of the flexibility of being able to ride it to Death Valley, ride it anywhere in Death Valley, and ride it home. I would haul a 510TE to Death Valley, ride it anywhere in Death Valley and then haul it home.

I test rode three bikes last Saturday. A new WR250R, a used '07 DRZ400S and a used '07 XR650L.

The WR250R was smooth as silk even up to 80 MPH, was extremely nimble but I would have to get used to the lack of power from the little 250 motor. I've owned a CRF250R, CRF250X and a YZ250F in the past and found I preferred the power of the WR450F over these bikes.

The DRZ400S was the most fun of the three, had enough power for me but got buzzy at 60 MPH and above.

The XR650L had lots of torque down low, was the least nimble of the three and struggled to get to 80 MPH. The DRZ actually seemed quickest of the three.

I'm anxious to ride an '09 610TE if they ever show up at Dealerships.

^You'll be pleased with the 610. It's got a very strong engine and only gets buzzy when you want to go 100 or more in my experience (depending on your sprockets). It's more dirt worthy than most tend to expect; it's in a class quite separate from the chunky xr/drz/klx bikes, no offense to them.

You didn't say what you like to ride. Dual Sport includes everything! I ride and work on woods single track and must carry chain saw on rear rack, ride desert with whoops, sand and rocks, multi day tours in northern Nevada, and promote Mexico to Canada (Mex2Can.com) every year. I couldn't get by with just one bike. I have CRF230, XR400, & TE610. The XR needs to be replaced by a mid size KTM or Husky.

i bought a XR650R this weekend, decided against $8k for a 08 510 since i got this one plated for $3k and will put about $2500 in upgrades to motor, suspension, and other stuff

i bought a XR650R this weekend, decided against $8k for a 08 510 since i got this one plated for $3k and will put about $2500 in upgrades to motor, suspension, and other stuff

Not a bad bike, lots of fun to ride, but they don't call it the Big Red Pig for nuttin. My Son had one and I have ridden it several times.

Try kickstarting the beast on a off camber hill :)

I will take an E start any day!!

kick start it on a hill?? NAH ill just throw it to the bottom, or ride it out LMAO for my first thumper kickstart it seems not to bad to start!

kick start it on a hill?? NAH ill just throw it to the bottom, or ride it out LMAO for my first thumper kickstart it seems not to bad to start!

Well then its a good thing its an ANVIL!!!

I know I'd have to do the same if I had one and got caught in a off camber section and had to kick it- I am too short. But I am too picky with my bikes:cry: to use special technic referred to as GHOST RIDER:):banghead:

dat dada DAAAAA Ghost Rider!!! up UP and AWAY!!!!

I'm glad to hear you got a bike. I've got nothing against hondas but that scoot just isn't for me and the things I want to do (ie; single track, tight trails, jumps, races, etc...)

For dual sporting, it's a lot of fun if you spend 40+ percent of your time on the road and 50-60 percent on double track ish type stuff.

Jibberish again, I know :)