Sign in to follow this  

Changing springs ??

any over priced tools needed?

Torque wrench

21 mm socket

16 and 17 mm wrench

Some medium strength threadlock

Maybe something to loosen fork cap nuts with. They are octagon heads.

Some fork oil would be good too!

Nothing special for the shock.

awww man i just cant win these days. No more typing at the station,lol. Thanks though guys, looks like i'm in good shape.

clutch detent spring? ha ha those posts were cracking me up :)

Hey...the other tool you might want is a fork-like tool that holds the inner cartridge rod outside of the bottom of your fork while you loosen the bottom cap from the cartridge rod.

Either that tool, or a friend to help :banghead:

Hey...the other tool you might want is a fork-like tool that holds the inner cartridge rod outside of the bottom of your fork while you loosen the bottom cap from the cartridge rod.

Either that tool, or a friend to help :)

That´s what the 16mm wrench is for. It stops the rod from going in, while holding the nut with the 17mm wrench and loosening the rebound adjuster with the 21mm socket...

Well, actuly there is tools needed but none that can't be made.

That if you have an 06 or newer bike

if its 04-05 then no tools needed other then standard mechanics tools

It's super easy, I havent changed them on a kawi, but I did my fork springs on my YZ in about 4 mins, it was easier than oiling an air filter, the rear takes a little longer, but can be done in 15 mins easily. Have fun!

If you are going to change the springs, change the oil in the inner cartriges too. It's pretty easy....

On the shock, loosen the pre-load rings for the rear spring when its on the bike. It's easier, unless your fortunate enough to have a spring compressor...

If you are going to change the springs, change the oil in the inner cartriges too. It's pretty easy....

On the shock, loosen the pre-load rings for the rear spring when its on the bike. It's easier, unless your fortunate enough to have a spring compressor...

Really think I should change the oil with the spring.... Its a new bike.

Shop doesnt have the 09 manual in. I have the forks off but I dont really know what to do. If anyone has a link to a walk though or a walk through that is close to what I'm going, that would be great.