Sign in to follow this  

Should I be alright?

I just rebuilt my motor from the bottom up pretty much--new rod, main bearings, piston, cylinder, valves, head work. I'll have everything back together tomorrow night once I get my piston. There is a 4 hour team harescramble race on sunday at a local track.

I'm planning on going solo and doing the race myself like I tried to last time before my bike blew up. (oil flow prob caused my cams to wear into the head, rings to melt to the side of the piston and ruin my cylinder) I had a shop clean the crankcase oil screens and inspect everything else on the bottom end and everything is in good condition.

I plan on breaking the bike in with heat cycles, changing the oil on friday sometime then riding for a few on saturday.

I just wanted to see what your opinion was on running my bike in such a long and muddy race. I worked on the track today and the mud is still pretty sloppy.. Everyone keeps saying I'm crazy running that race with my bike but I figured since everything was new and I'll have it broke in by then that I should be good..

Thanks for the help,

Brent

This is a debated topic. Many people have different opinions. Some people say just get on it and ride it like you stole it, it makes the rings seat better. During my last rebuild I did about 4 heat and cool cycles on the stand. I let the bike heat up to normal temperature and then let it cool completely. I then rode it at about half throttle, going through the gears for about 20 minutes and let it cool completely. After that I rode it like I stole it. Your choice, this method has worked great for me.

You´ll notice on saturday if it was put together right.

If everything seems ok, it probably is:thumbsup:

Just run the races you want to, the bike can take it.

Well I made it 2 hrs and 15 min, then my bike just died on the downside of a steep table and sent me over the bars. I looked down and there was oil coming out right under the head, must have blew a head gasket, i'm hoping for the best right now.. Such a bummer, I was 15 min from finishing that race lol.. Guess I'll find out Wed.. My friend took a few pics -- http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=21707290&albumId=3301636

Well I made it 2 hrs and 15 min, then my bike just died on the downside of a steep table and sent me over the bars. I looked down and there was oil coming out right under the head, must have blew a head gasket, i'm hoping for the best right now.. Such a bummer, I was 15 min from finishing that race lol.. Guess I'll find out Wed.. My friend took a few pics -- http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=21707290&albumId=3301636

ahh man im sorry to hear that. I hope it all goes well.

Those pictures didnt work because your accoun is set to private.

Hmm.. Every single folder is set to everyone can see, the 2.0 version screwed everything up oh well..

How's your head and cam been holding up?