Sign in to follow this  

03 XR 400 Goodies

I am looking at purchasing an 03 XR 400. It is street legal, has a 5 gallon tank, and a big bore kit not yet installed. This is all I know right now for I am looking at the bike tonight. What do you gentleman think this is worth. I am more familiar with KTM's and also do not really know what the big bore kit, tank and street legal is worth.

My guesstimations are that an 03 XR is worth between 2500 and 3K. To make it street legal costs just short of $500, but what does this add to resale? $100/200. The big bore kit, I dont know which one it is yet, but figure $300? And the 5 gal tank????

Also on the big bore kit, i see there are lengthy discussions on which way to go and which way to not go. I am 25 years old, ride some pretty knarly dirt stuff out in the southwest but also need a city commuter. I think this is a stout bike

Appreciate any help/opinions.

Thanks and cheers!

I think installed accessories bring 1/4 to 1/3 their original value upon resale, depending on condition. I think the big bore kit since it's new/never installed would be considered separately from the bike.

Look thru ads for XRs and see what others of same year and condition are going for.

Now having said all that, it really depends on what it's worth "to you". I'd say you're not far off on your estimate. Get a look at the bike, get an idea of the POs maintenance practices and overall condition and go from there.

You can get a big bore kit on ebay for about $385.00 Includes sleeve, piston, rings, gaskets.

I think that 04' 400R is worth about $2100 to $2500, depending on its shape, and including the big bore kit. Check that swingarm bolt! If you can't move it, deduct $200-$300!!

Unless you ride it on street only, or do looong desert races, you will find that 5 gal tank a pain in the dirt. Too damn big! No added value. If he gives the original tank, then you can ebay the big one for $100 if in good shape.

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know about that. I don't ride street or do desert races with mine, but I wouldn't take for my big tank, but it's only 4 gal. Takes a little while to get used to the handling but I have sure enjoyed having it on all day rides when there will be no gas stops and not have to worry about gas like everyone else.

Like BuckRun said, it depends on what you're going to be doing with it.

Another nice thing, you don't have to fill it all the way up for short rides, but the capacity is there when you need it.

I kept my stock tank just in case. I suggest you do the same with your big tank if you swap it out for the stocker. I guess it's one of those things that doesn't have any value until you suddenly find a need for it.

Unless you ride it on street only, or do looong desert races, you will find that 5 gal tank a pain in the dirt. Too damn big! No added value. If he gives the original tank, then you can ebay the big one for $100 if in good shape.

Well the guy want $4,500!!!! The big bore kit was a wiseco that required putting in a sleeve (crap), all the wires were not together for the headlights, the bike was super uber cold blooded ran on choke for 10 mins and would instantly die off of choke and the valves have never ever ever been adjusted. It wouldve been a good bike being a street legal desert machine, but I offered the guy 2,500 and maybe paid 2,750.

I do appreciate the help. I was figuring the bike without extra's was worth that 2500 number but then it didnt run right. But he kept on mentioning that there is an 01 xr 400 on craigslist for $4,500. You can ask for whatever you want, doesnt mean you are goin to get it.

If any of you have a street legal XR 400 I would be interested. I would be using it as a daily commuter. I would also want a second set of rims so then I can swap off street tires, put the dot knobbies on, ride to the desert and away i go. desert tank a bonus. big bore kit or stroker a bonus.

Yeah, $4500 is too much, the guy is dreaming. An XR that year model in like new condition, maybe.

Yep, Way to much. I have an 03 with Pumper carb, Bark busters IMS pegs/shark fin/4gl tank, light use and all the spare parts too, additionally it is a sweet second bike. I would only sell it for 3,500.00 and not a penny less.

03XR4004.jpg

03XR4001.jpg

Sweet XR Palmer. And street legal to boot.

Agreed. But I'm not sure which is cooler - the XR or the Westy behind it.:)

And to the OP, the seller is higher than ten hippies. I bought my XR for $2500 and feel like I didn't get a steal, but didn't get ripped off either. USD fork, Clarke 3.8-gallon, stage 1 Hotcam, XRs Only exhaust, Acerbis Cyclops, and a title. The bike you described is probably worth more than mine, but DEFINITELY not 80% more!

Agreed. But I'm not sure which is cooler - the XR or the Westy behind it.:thumbsup:

And to the OP, the seller is higher than ten hippies. I bought my XR for $2500 and feel like I didn't get a steal, but didn't get ripped off either. USD fork, Clarke 3.8-gallon, stage 1 Hotcam, XRs Only exhaust, Acerbis Cyclops, and a title. The bike you described is probably worth more than mine, but DEFINITELY not 80% more!

Sorry off topic! “NO” the Westy is not for sale. Drool away B70B.

Worked for Volkswagen from 78 to 86, I am the second owner 1969 I have owned it since 1982 it is all original, except for the new motor case (very hard to find) I just rebuilt, 279,000 miles total 110,00 on original rebuilt trans (no problems) 0 miles on new motor. Still in refurbish project stage.

I just bought a 2003 XR400 for $2000 and it's in pretty good shape. Based on the posts here, it sounds like I paid a fair price. Can't wait to dig in and go through her. BRAAAP!