Sign in to follow this  

What do I do?

I dropped my bike off this morning for its 1000km first service (to maintain warranty). I asked around town and this guy is the one to take your bike too. When I handed it over I gave him a bottle of Silkolene Pro 4 15/50 full ester oil. He told me that I should be running a mineral based oil and not a full synthetic in this engine. He also said the Silkolene (fuch) oil is not a real good oil, contrary to what I have heard elsewhere. I had gone on what I read on TT wih oil selection but I am not a mechanic so I can't really argue with him over this issue. He said that by using this oil my engine won't bed in and the oil will break down quickly? Should I just go with what he said and change it when I get home? Is there anyone out there that believe the mineral based oil is the way to go and can give me a reason why to use it? Also, could it be that in Australia a mineral based oil is better given the climate? I am confused! :)

Cheers,

Kev

Kindly tell the mechanic to please use the oil you provided. It's your bike and you'll use the oil of your choice.

I know mate, but it is hard with someone with years of mechanical experience telling you otherwise.

Even the most seasoned mechanics get it wrong sometime.

If your not comfortable telling him to use your oil forego the oil change and do it yourself. Keep service records, even service done by yourself, and they can't deny warranty.

fair dinkum :) cobbah ... my advice is to bypass that '' dealer '' . dont use mineral oil , use what you read on this board and do what you read on this board . australian motors need the best products to keep them strong !

oh boy............

I know. This guy is apparently the gun. Given his reputation, it is like telling Eddy that you are going against his recommendation. I might just change it again when I get it home. Like I said, I am no mechanic, so I was easily put in two minds. :) He primarily does sports bikes, would that explain anything? Thought the oil selection wouldn't be much different? Thanks again for clariffying a much conversed subject.

its your bike. do what you feel is best.

Thanks, yes your right. I did the research and believed I was doing the right thing. Just got doubtful when being told by someone who should know.