Sign in to follow this  

Gearing, What would you do?

I'm planning on only driving my DRZ on 60 and under roads...

What sproket changes would you make? If you would never take it on a highway what would you do?

Chet

EDIT: Where is a good source for gears?

14/47 seems to be a nice blend for a lot of bikes. i'm using it now. i like it ok

I'm planning on only driving my DRZ on 60 and under roads...

What sproket changes would you make? If you would never take it on a highway what would you do?

Chet

EDIT: Where is a good source for gears?

95% off-road my preference most of the time is 13/48 or 13/49.

If I have a day or trip that is mostly fire roads then 15/48 (easy to just swap the front sprocket).

Im running 15/48 on both my 05 s's . You can do 55 to 60 real nice for nice long runs . You can do 75 in spurts. Good all around off road gearing also.

I'm running 15/47 gearing, it works out perfect for me. I can get up anything offroad (in the desert) and it goes 60mph okay. Over 65 is pushing it, but I never take it on interstates so it doesn't matter. I think steel jd sprockets are okay ones to get, that's what I plan on getting. TT store has all sorts of sprockets.

Where should I look for gears?

TT Store...give them a call.

I do 14/47 which is pretty close to being about right for me in the deep woods, is a wheelie monster around town, and can buzz at 70mph (more comfortable at 60 tho) when needed to.

^^^ Would I need to adjust my chain if I'm running the stock SM gearing?

Basically I'm looking for some pep around town... Take off speeds and 25-45 grunt...

Chet

What does changing the gearing get you... Say the 14/47?

14-47 is nice for the woods,to tight for extended street riding.

With my street wheels/trail wings i like 15-46

Off road wheel set 14-47

i am runnin 14/50 talk about some pick up and go.. jet kit 3x3 full exhaust and cams... havint met a 450 motocross bike than can beat it out of the hole yet..... 14/50 is when u wana wheelie in any gear without standin up

Stick with stock sprockets, best compromise between some dirt and mostly road. Swapped the stock 15T for a Driven 16T primary sprocket for in town commuting, works nice at fwy speeds. I don't shift to 5th til 50-55 mph. A jetted BSR-36 will pull that ratio, CVK-40 is better, FCR is better yet but taps out my go faster budget.