Sign in to follow this  

When to change air filter?

Is there a way to know when you need to replace an air filter? does it have to be falling apart, or become really hard, or do u just go off of times used?

and what's really the difference between expensive and cheap filters? performance or life span?

I'm not able to answer your question 100%, but as far as my expieriences with my air filters, I use them until the foam looks like it's letting go. Tears, the glue starts to seperate, or the filter just looks ratty.. Either way def make sure you clean it every ride, every other ride. They get dirty fast and have to be cleaned often. No need to take a risk on something so easy!

I'm not able to answer your question 100%, but as far as my expieriences with my air filters, I use them until the foam looks like it's letting go. Tears, the glue starts to seperate, or the filter just looks ratty.. Either way def make sure you clean it every ride, every other ride. They get dirty fast and have to be cleaned often. No need to take a risk on something so easy!

I follow the same rule as this :) .

Replace/oil filters often. It's much cheaper than having to rebuild your motor because you sucked dirt thru it. I got a Ready Racing filter for my bike and for $10 you can't beat it. It's pre oiled (I added some more oil for the heck of it). They are the same thing as the Twin Air filters except they're green, pre-oiled and cost less than half as much and they sell them at the Thumper Talk store.

Replace/oil filters often. It's much cheaper than having to rebuild your motor because you sucked dirt thru it. I got a Ready Racing filter for my bike and for $10 you can't beat it. It's pre oiled (I added some more oil for the heck of it). They are the same thing as the Twin Air filters except they're green, pre-oiled and cost less than half as much.

Anyone thinking of using ready filters have a look at this thread:

http://www.obtrailriders.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=56&func=view&catid=28&id=19692#20336

With the big ride to hill end and me only having the original air filter for the DRZ I figured it was time I got some spare filters. Headed down to Supercheap Auto and grabbed a couple of the Ready Filters. Good value at $15 and convenient for lazy bugger like me who don’t like getting there hands dirty.

Got home and fitted one straight away. First thing I noticed was once fitted the Ready Filter was smaller in overall size than the original. It fitted snuggly over the cage but seamed to have less foam making it smaller. Put a smear of grease around the base and in she went, nice tight seal.

Well the Hillend ride was always going to be a test for any filter, 240km to Hillend with thick dust 90% of the way. Over night stop at Hillend and a quick service had me pulling out the Readyfilter, which was not surprisingly clogged with dirt, and tossing it in the bin (much to Champo’s disgust). I chucked in a fresh Readyfilter and was ready for a few Bourbons, a good sleep and day two.

Day two was a little shorter with a bit more wind helping clear some of the dust. At times the dust was still bad but toward the end I got some fresh air and lead the group. Still a dusty ride but not as bad as day one.

Got the DRZ home pushed it to the corner of the shed all dirty outa sight outa mind. Couple of weeks now and I though I better get her out and clean her up, not to mention the fork need to be sent away. Gave it a good wash, pulled the forks off, now it was time to clean the dreaded filter.

I pulled of the cover and was not surprised to find a brown mess. Ripped out the Readyfilter which went straight to the bin (sorry Champo). Took a look down into the air boot, past the filter mount, and was not happy to see it looked the same as the inside of the air box itself, DUST.

Now I know this was a dusty ride and was always going to be a good test on filters but I’ve ridden in dust as bad before, even on trail bike rallies with 1000 other dust stirrers but I have never had dust get past a filter before.

Back to cleaning and oiling filters for me, Readyfilter can go and get f…….

Not just dust but some large particles.

readyfilter007.jpg

The screen behind the filter.

readyfilter003.jpg

readyfilter014.jpg

Not just dust but some large particles.

readyfilter007.jpg

The screen behind the filter.

readyfilter003.jpg

readyfilter014.jpg

I tried a ready filter for my '07 WR250F and it seemed like the wrong part for the bike. Wrong shape and had a rubber bung in the middle where the stocker had a hole. Wouldn't touch one ever again. Ever. Be warned.

I had a few Ready filters for my YZs. Kept them for a few years, I still have one that I've used since 2006. They work well.

My bike gets a brand new filter with every new top-end. Filters are cheap, and vitally important. No way will I run one until it begins to noticeably deteriorate, they begin to lose their filtering abilities long before you notice the degradation of the foam.

well if u peel it back a bit and look at the inside and it is clean on the inside is it alright to leave it for another ride? cause i feel like i drop twice as much dirt in there by pulling it out and putting it back , than if i just left it alone...:)

My bike gets a brand new filter with every new top-end. Filters are cheap, and vitally important. No way will I run one until it begins to noticeably deteriorate, they begin to lose their filtering abilities long before you notice the degradation of the foam.

very good idea and one i will follow from now on..

well if u peel it back a bit and look at the inside and it is clean on the inside is it alright to leave it for another ride? cause i feel like i drop twice as much dirt in there by pulling it out and putting it back , than if i just left it alone...:)

Man, the LAST thing you want is dirt INSIDE the filter! If you see dust on the outside of the filter and it looks fairly blocked, get it out and clean it.

yeah, i think i'm gonna go w/ ur theory on this one. i mean, even the most expensive filter is like $30, and i'm spendin way more than that on a replate, piston, and porting.

IMO, if you are running a 4 stroke, that filter needs to be clean enough to eat off (assuming it weren't drenched in oil :)) before every ride. I am about to replace one of mine because I noticed that it is starting to separate in places, and it feels much softer and lifeless than it used to.

yeah, i think i'm gonna go w/ ur theory on this one. i mean, even the most expensive filter is like $30, and i'm spendin way more than that on a replate, piston, and porting.

I have to disagree with the most expensive filter part.....K&N $86 and I am throwing one away after one ride, I found some particles in my air boot after a short ride and it wasn't even an extremely dusty day. Maybe it was user error, but I don't see how, I would rather throw $100 away then rebuild the motor, back to the Twin air power flow filters.

cleaning the filter can be a pain but it needs to be done they are fairly cheap and are very important to maintain why take a chance with your pride and joy

I usually buy 2-3 filters per season, and every spring toss them and get 2-3 more. After about 10-20 cycles a filter feels pretty lifeless, not something I play around with.

I have to disagree with the most expensive filter part.....K&N $86 and I am throwing one away after one ride, I found some particles in my air boot after a short ride and it wasn't even an extremely dusty day. Maybe it was user error, but I don't see how, I would rather throw $100 away then rebuild the motor, back to the Twin air power flow filters.
That's not the first time I've heard someone say they found dirt passing their K&N filter. I won't use one.

Rock Oil Synthetic Washable Air Filter Fluid is the way to go.

You wash your filter with simple green in the sink without needing gloves and without messing up the sink. I can even clean my filter under any available hose then squeeze the water out, let it dry and squeeze some fluid on it and ready to go the next day.

Since I have been using it I am more likely to clean my filters often. Way better than kerosene and oil.

well i don't consider K&N a filter, lol. really, i don't even know if they make them for my CR. but the most expensive filter i've looked into is a twin air...which is less than $30. but yeah, there are probably one's for a lot more.

IMO, if you are running a 4 stroke, that filter needs to be clean enough to eat off (assuming it weren't drenched in oil :)) before every ride. I am about to replace one of mine because I noticed that it is starting to separate in places, and it feels much softer and lifeless than it used to.

i have to disagree, as long as the air supply itself is clean your good to go, I check mine after every ride, but only clean it when its actually dirty.

of course Ive always been radical with filter oil haha

Filters are by far cheaper than a rebuild. Dont chance it.BUy 2 or 3 and keep them handy. I have noticed some filters lose their rigidity or stiffness when they are "old" or "bad" dont wait til deterioration is noticable, cause then you got foam in your engine. I use Twin Air, clean them with gas, and use alomst any kind of air filter oil.