Sign in to follow this  

Next year, the true death of the 250cc 2 stroke?

I was thinking about this the other day.... The new fuel injected 450's... people say you ride a carburated one after the injected one, and the carburated one is a slug...

Next year, when the 250f's get fuel injection... will they be on par with the 250 2 strokes power? If not surely it would not be hard to get it close.

So tha being the option... reliable ( as long as you dont bounce the rev limiter ), light, up to date, torque everywhere, power everywhere... Is this it?

There will be no point ( from a scientific) point of view, to own a 250 2 stroke... I know there will still be some for obvious reasons ( powerband, etc ) that keep riding them, but if the fuel injected ones are just as fast....

? :)

Discuss...

well suzuki was running efi quite awhile before anyone else. and they have the famous gixxers theyve worked on for years. i think the only real difference is linear power and not as much tire spin. but its workin out great for honda so well see.

seeing as the 250 2t is in the lites class now i dont see whyd they get rid of them. plus a pretty high percentage use 2 strokes for woods riding

Well modern mx four strokes are not reliable, especially compared to 250 two strokes. And wait until you have to rebuild your four stroke $$$$! Luckily i maintain my 450 and have had no problems except gears being stripped in the tranny. (3rd and 4th due to manufacturer error according to xr's only) But there will be many reasons to own two strokes still, especially cost.

I doubt Yamaha and KTM will stop production. And even if they do, people will still ride them.

i dont see why they would get rid of 2-strokes a 4-stroke will never match some things that 2-strokes can do and those are all the things that make people want 2-strokes

2 strokes will never be fully dead even if they stop making them people always be riding them.

Fuel Injection will not just make people switch over. Yamaha can sell 5000 YZ125's and 5000 YZ250's a year and people will buy them...even if they dont change them.

Just because the japanese bikes are all 4 stroke, doesnt mean KTM, GAS GAS, TM, ATK, Service Honda,...ect are going to just quit making bikes.

Seems like I see more KTM's every day.

Im still hoping that 2t stays around . I do like my 450f ,but no way would I trade a CR500 or KX500 for what I ride now ,if I had the other . I said long ago in another thread (still hoping -:) ) that before the last 2t rolls off the assey line ,some new generation 2t will start up . Marine use still makes high efficiency 2t motors . Lighter , much better fuel consumption ,actually ,the new 4t outboards are no more efficient than a 8 year old carb 2t motor (been efi for several years) . Its all about the marketing ,just like the forks used to be "right side up" now upside down :banghead: . We didnt need watercooling (ever lost cause your air cooled motor wasnt fast enough late in a race ? Nope,you may have got tired ,the bike didnt .:banghead:

Power wise ,as long as tracks cant use alot of power , ie..outdoors natural terrain , compared to 9 turn -50 second a lap 20 lap sprints 4t motors are going to be here . (Look at a SX track from several years ago - the arenas have not changed ,the courses have ) There is no real reason to change to 4t ,other than marketing . You know ,the art of selling you something that you dont need

• Like 1

The death of the two stroke has so much to do with emissions laws.

Comparing what is currently used yes ,as long as you dont go marine . The Evinrude E-tek and a few others actually rate higher than the Honda 225/200 and the Mercury Varado ,both 4t . What is currently used 2t wise ,yes ,you are correct . There has not been one ounce of development spent from Honda 2t wise .

I was reading a dirt rider mag today, and I saw an article about bikes of the future, they had a picture of what a crf350R would look like, they said that it might be in production in 2015, and there was a ktm 125 Hybrid 2t for production in like 2020 if I remember right (which I probably don't). Oh, and It also had catalyst.

This aligns so nicely :banghead: with Honda's cash$ contributions to that off road friendly group calling themselves The Sierra Club. They always have your best interests at heart.:foul:

I know ..I was out of this madness for several years , got back in and was "what the heck? where are the CRs "...Valves? Give me a break!!:) Alas...all is ok . But if I would have known about the companies that shoe-horn a 500 in aluminum frame....wouldnt have a 450f in the garage . Had no idea on the kiss kiss Honda does w/Sierra Club .Politically correct this..:banghead:

Sry...just rantin again..

I know ..I was out of this madness for several years , got back in and was "what the heck? where are the CRs "...Valves? Give me a break!!:) Alas...all is ok . But if I would have known about the companies that shoe-horn a 500 in aluminum frame....wouldnt have a 450f in the garage . Had no idea on the kiss kiss Honda does w/Sierra Club .Politically correct this..:banghead:

Sry...just rantin again..

The YZ450F is a nice ride too man. :banghead:

When you get the itch and don't have $10K sitting 'round for a 500AF, pick up a modern YZ250 or even a CR250 (07 was last year for CR). These bikes have a minimum of 45HP and haul the mail. Quite a bit different than 80s or even mid 90s 250 smokers. Very broad and tractable in comparison (less hit and more hook up but still have hyper space on tap too).

I was thinking about this the other day.... The new fuel injected 450's... people say you ride a carburated one after the injected one, and the carburated one is a slug...

Next year, when the 250f's get fuel injection... will they be on par with the 250 2 strokes power? If not surely it would not be hard to get it close.

So tha being the option... reliable ( as long as you dont bounce the rev limiter ), light, up to date, torque everywhere, power everywhere... Is this it?

There will be no point ( from a scientific) point of view, to own a 250 2 stroke... I know there will still be some for obvious reasons ( powerband, etc ) that keep riding them, but if the fuel injected ones are just as fast....

? :thinking

Discuss...

Fuel injection does not give more power than a carb.

• Like 1

No it doesnt, not even close. Research the topic for yourself and youll see alot of it was the AMA being bullied by the factories.

• Like 1

just from being on thumpertalk everyday and mostly lurking around i can say that 2-strokes are no way near dead. Maybe theres only 2 major manufactures still making them but im sure that the sale rating for ktm and yammi have gone up in the 2-stroke department

This is the future people....zero-x-electric-motorcycle-09-b.jpg

KTM even has an electric bike in the works.....

KTM-electric-MX-01.jpg

Once they can get the power of a 450 4t or 250 2t in those bikes with a 100 mile range, then I'm giving up on gas motors....

Can we stop with the "Death of the 2 stroke" threads. We ALL know they arnt going anywhere. There will always be a market for them. Much like a full size truck, sure, gas is high and the sky is falling, but we keep buying them.

You will always smell pre mix in the morning in the pits...at least for the forseeable future.

And enough with the electric. Whether it be bikes or cars....you guys ever read any books from the 60's? Going by what they said "was the future" we should be driving around in floating vehicles that run on air and living in bubbles that float up in the sky, wearing neon colored plastic suits. Don't try to predict the future....the way its going we all need to slow down and enjoy whats going on today.

You will always smell pre mix in the morning in the pits...at least for the forseeable future.

Castor 927 :)