Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Spokes and Nipples: Size? Source?

It looks like I need to rebuild my rear wheel. The current spokes are chewed up, corroded and make it impossible to tighten a loose spoke or true the wheel.

What size or kind spokes and nipples do I need? Are there any preferred brands?

My rims are fine (XR650L wheel in back is also beat looiking, but still riding strong and CRF450R wheel in front is pretty new looking) but if there are any good deals on spoke, nipple, rim packages I might rebuild completely. I've always wanted gold wheels:)

TIA.

-Scott

It looks like I need to rebuild my rear wheel. The current spokes are chewed up, corroded and make it impossible to tighten a loose spoke or true the wheel.

What size or kind spokes and nipples do I need? Are there any preferred brands?

My rims are fine (XR650L wheel in back is also beat looiking, but still riding strong and CRF450R wheel in front is pretty new looking) but if there are any good deals on spoke, nipple, rim packages I might rebuild completely. I've always wanted gold wheels:)

TIA.

-Scott

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

I got mine from Buchannan's. They custom make for any bike and keep stock on popular models such as Honda anything. A stainless steel set with nickle plated nipples will cost you about 20-30% more than a soso quality Ebay set and they don't rust.

So I ordered stainless steel spoke and nipple combo from Buchanan-to the tune of about $90 including shipping.

I finally get around to removing the rear tire today, then spent a few hours to wrangling off the heavily corroded stock spokes (dremel with sanding wheel worked well to cut through spokes) only to find that the nipples Buchanan's sent me do not fit in the xr650l rim!

I specifically ordered the XR650L package which included the .320 size nipples. The only thing I can think of is that one has to drill out the existing holes.

Anyone run into this issue? What size drill bit? No where on Buchanan's site does it mention the need to drill out rims.

-Scott

So I ordered stainless steel spoke and nipple combo from Buchanan-to the tune of about $90 including shipping.

I finally get around to removing the rear tire today, then spent a few hours to wrangling off the heavily corroded stock spokes (dremel with sanding wheel worked well to cut through spokes) only to find that the nipples Buchanan's sent me do not fit in the xr650l rim!

I specifically ordered the XR650L package which included the .320 size nipples. The only thing I can think of is that one has to drill out the existing holes.

Anyone run into this issue? What size drill bit? No where on Buchanan's site does it mention the need to drill out rims.

-Scott

Yes, you will need to drill the rim. Very common with Buchanan spoke kits.

So drill it is. I called Buchanan's and they confirmed I need a 21/64ths bit. I made a recommendation to update their site indicating that drilling out rim is necessary-to avoid future confusion.

Can anyone describe the lacing pattern on the rear wheel? There's 4 rows-outside and inside on both sides of the hub. Does the outside always cross over the inner on the same side of the hub. I took a few pictures of the wheel prior to dissassembling, but they're not as helpful as I imagined.

-Scott

So drill it is. I called Buchanan's and they confirmed I need a 21/64ths bit. I made a recommendation to update their site indicating that drilling out rim is necessary-to avoid future confusion.

Can anyone describe the lacing pattern on the rear wheel? There's 4 rows-outside and inside on both sides of the hub. Does the outside always cross over the inner on the same side of the hub. I took a few pictures of the wheel prior to dissassembling, but they're not as helpful as I imagined.

-Scott

Now, that's why if I ever do this, I'll do one spoke at a time!

I re-laced an XR200 wheel once, I have no idea how I managed to do it correctly!

Dave

I initially had the same thought.

However, I think it's nearly impossible to relace using single spokes at a time on xr650l hubs. There isn't much room as is and even less room with beefier Buchanan spokes.

A friend that relaced his recommended the all at once approach as you can stagger the full insertion of the spokes. Plus more room to work without the rim in the way.

The above acknowledged, I'm the one that needs some help!

-Scott

Now, that's why if I ever do this, I'll do one spoke at a time!

I re-laced an XR200 wheel once, I have no idea how I managed to do it correctly!

Dave

Anyone know the length of right and left spokes on the rear wheel?

The spokes in the Buchanan kit are all the same length. This seemed odd, but I thought that perhaps the spokes were threaded such that one could make up length offset by tigtening one side more than the other. Anyway, I laced up the wheel tonight and it's severely offset towards the brake rotor side. It looks like the rear caliper barely clears the spokes.

Thnx.

-Scott

Havn't laced a wheel in many years but even though the spokes are all the same length I think the angle of the ends that go through the hubs are a little different?

The packaging on the spokes from Buchanans reads something like "32 9b 8 1/4-1/2 11"

I'm reading this as following:

*32 is number of spokes

*9 is the gauge

*8 1/4-1/2 is the length of the taught spoke.

*No idea what '11' stands for

Measured length on the spokes is shy of 9 inches.

I googled spoke kits xr650l and a few other kits are described as "16/16."

Buchanans isn't open yet, but I'll be calling them yet again when they open at 11:30 est.

-Scott

Havn't laced a wheel in many years but even though the spokes are all the same length I think the angle of the ends that go through the hubs are a little different?

Just off the phone with Buchanans, this is what I've been told.

Offset on the xr650l rear wheel is 3.5 inches from sprocket mount to the center of the rim.

Physical difference in stock spoke lengths is minimal (1/16 inch) the threading on the Buchanan spokes will allow for the offset.

Looks like it's back to the garage tonight for more finetuning.

-Scott