Sign in to follow this  

'98 Dodge Dakota

I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow. It has the 5.2 V8 engine, 4X4 drivetrain, and a manual 5-speed. There are 108,xxx miles on the truck.

Anything I should be looking out for in particular for this model, besides the basics?

Also, what kind of real-world gas mileage can I expect out of the 5.2?

Thanks.

From what I've heard, they are fairly good trucks. I've been told this:

Transfer cases are not the strongest

The dash can crack easily, and I've heard some horror stories of the dash self-destructing and getting tons of cracks, with pieces falling in on itself.

Plenum gasket is prone to leak, causing pinging under load, high oil consumption, etc. Expensive dealer fix, not so bad if you DIY. Fel-Pro makes a better gasket and other companies offer aluminum plenum plates to replace the factory steel one.

Expect 18mpg highway at reasonable speeds. Good news is the 3.9 V6 gets the same mileage.

• Like 1

Ball joints are suspect on these vehicle. Both uppers and especially the lowers were junk. I believe that there was a recall on the uppers, I think starting in 99 when there was a supplier change.

The clear coat is rubbish and will fade, peel and look like S***..I have same year and it looks horrible but runs great at 125,000 miles..