Sign in to follow this  

concrete pads

is there a way to get good traction on a concrete starting pad without spinning the tire....i usually do but it takes the sharp edge off my tire and i hate that!

If you stay in a neutral postion, a little more towards the back of the seat, and don't pin it all the way. Make sure that you still accelerate fast, but try not pinning it all the way until your tires hit the dirt. Good Luck! :)

HA! Spinning the tire does nothing but wear it out. I used to race MX and the local track had a concrete start. One day I was watching the fastest local pro and noticed that he was not leaning forward like most people do. I did not sit straight up either, kind of slouch a little. Like ShiftRacing144 says, he was pretty much sitting in the center of the bike, still forward on the seat. Do not pin the throttle before the start, maybe go 1/2-3/4 and let the clutch out smoothly. I started holeshotting my races after figuring that out. Once you get out of the gate and on the dirt, then you are shifting to 3rd and have the throttle wide open.

If you have a small broom and a buddy, have them sweep the dirt off of the pad (if allowed) behind your gate. The reason people spin the tire is to have a clean spot under the tire, but if you sweep it clean, that is not necessary. I always laughed at the kids that would roast their tires on the line, even after daddy swept it. LOL

the only reason i would spin the tire is to clean the dirt off it from riding to and from the pits so u can get the max amount of rubber down

I would think that even spinning your tire after the pad is swept will give you more traction being the rubber to rubber contact

What worked for me besides sweeping the pad was I would hit the fenders to shake off any dirt stuck to the underside , start it up and break off any stuff under the motor ,just really paying attention to what may drop down . I was pretty anal on gate prep honestly . I've seen guys do the "drag strip burn-out" and never followed suit . Hope this helps ....:thumbsup:

i've heard all kinds of stuff from what alessi's techniques are and josh grants. these guys don't have to buy tires so they'll obviously smoke the tire on cement because you can really get your revs up and lanch the bike when the gate drops if you get it hot and sticky just before the board goes sideways. personally, i sweep my gate as best i can, i'll sit way forward and pop the clutch a few times until i feel the bike start to grap a little better. i'm spinning the tire, but by no means am i smoking it out. it only takes 3 or 4 pops. then i make sure i've got my weight fairly neutral, and be smooth when the gate goes. don't dump the clutch, hold your throttle steady wherever you get the most traction and keep it there till ur on the dirt, as soon as i'm on the dirt i grab another gear and pin it.

Luke I would suggest going to a practice session at your track and possibly hooking up with a local pro that is there and having him tell you usually pros will either want to help you or just blow you off kinda so good luck with that but whoever it is that wants to help will most definitely get you going about 100% better than you are doing within just about 3 starts I know cause I'm the fastest pro in the world!

that shift racing guy and fivestar have it pretty much down listen to them and you will succeed, i kno cuz i once rode with the fastest pro in the world^ (and jeff ward walked me through it at ponca one year and it helped !10000%. good luck