Sign in to follow this  

I need some help

I have an 1986 xr 80 that I'm working on and I need some help. The bike ran in the summer for a while and last week it wouldn't start I got it started once but it died if i didn't rev it. Now this week i'm working on it, I emptied the gas tank and then cleaned the bottom of the carb with some steel wool, but it still will not start.

Any Ideas??

Pilot jet is clogged. It's the small one on the front side of the carb.

You will need a thin piece of brass wire to clean it out. Brass wire, copper is to soft, steel will scratch the bore.

Take it out and hop on down to the hardware store.

Remove the pilot and shoot it all with some carb cleaner. Use the little spray tube and spray into all the fuel circuit holes in the carb. I usually remove the main jet and the float valve and let everything soak overnight in a tupperware container after i spray it all down. I wouldn't use steel wool. All it will take is one little steel fiber to clog the idle circuit. If you have access to an air compressor, blow all the passages out to be sure they are clear. Also, check your exhaust isn't plugged and the air filter is clean. When putting the jets back in, DO NOT over tighten them. they are soft brass and will strip very easily. good luck