Sign in to follow this  

how replace break pads?

I can't find a 2004 KTM 250sx repair manual anywhere. I found an online dvd bt it doesnt work with vista or any new computer. Can anyone give me step by step directions on how to intstall front and rear break pads. Thanks for any help.

Dan

on the rear you pull the cross pins and slide em in n out. Pry on the old ones tho to open the piston so the new thicker pads have room to go in.

The front I take the caliper loose, pry the old pads apart with a screw drver to make room for the wider new pads, then pop em out and put the new ones in, much easier than a car is to do.

KTM makes it dern near trailside easy. Pay attention to where those cotter pins are in the bolts/pins that hold the pads in the caliper. Follow Mikes advice above. Its really easy. The fronts can be a bee-yatch to get the pad up in there as there is a spring steel retainer dealie that likes to fall out! If yours falls out and you get cornfused PM me and I'll send you a photo of how it goes back in.

the pistons go back in much easier if you take the cap off the master cylinder.

the pistons go back in much easier if you take the cap off the master cylinder.

No dice.

I don't think its worth taking off the cover to change BRAKE PADS :banghead: I'ts just not worth the risk. There would be a big potential to get air in the system... Bad news bears. The calipers are floating people... there is absolutley no reason to be sticking screwdrivers between your rotor and pads. :) Simply push the caliper against the rotor and you can depress the pads. FACT: on a 2007+ KTM SX250, it is possible to change brake pads trailside. I like to use pliers to get the clips off, but I've done it with my bare hands!:banghead:

No dice.

I don't think its worth taking off the cover to change BRAKE PADS :banghead: I'ts just not worth the risk. There would be a big potential to get air in the system... Bad news bears. The calipers are floating people... there is absolutley no reason to be sticking screwdrivers between your rotor and pads. :) Simply push the caliper against the rotor and you can depress the pads. FACT: on a 2007+ KTM SX250, it is possible to change brake pads trailside. I like to use pliers to get the clips off, but I've done it with my bare hands!:banghead:

I just did it, no prob. to each his own.

Wow you guys are great thank you very much for all the advice.. Anything beats going to the dealer..

I've been trying different tricks to change out my front pads on my 200 xcw twice now.

I've been changing out disc pads since bikes started with disc brakes and the pistons will not retract! The two pistons move indipendantly so they're not siezed.

I took the master cylinder cap off, pushed the caliper body towards the disc, put screw drivers in between the pads and pryed, I even went so far as to slide a tire iron in the caliper and compress them with a C-clamp!! NO DICE!! :)

I have ran out of ideas.

Anyone?