Sign in to follow this  

08 YZF 250 or 07 CRF 250, which do I buy??

I am looking to get a new 250f and Have never had the yamaha. Would like some input on the 2 models. 07 HONDA or 08 YAMAHA, both new left overs.

THANKS_

There is no doubt about it that the Yamaha is more reliable and has better suspension and are know for their stability. It will take about $350 to get the motor ported and it will run past the Honda.

The Honda's are known for their power and turning ability, but have a major issue with eating valves. If I could take a guess, they would go through about 4 valve jobs before a Yamaha would need one. That gets pricey.

Both are good bikes but valves are an issue on the honda plus your getting a one year newer bike easier to sell

I have an 07 CRF250R and have been lucky that the valves have not bit me; in fact, I've owned about 5 CRF models since 2002 with zero issues: change oil every 300 miles, oil filter every other change, clean air filter and don't lug or rev it. Having said that, some friends do the same and their valves went out ASAP!

I feel the CRF in 07 turned better than my 08 YZ250F no matter what I did, and I felt the rear suspension on the Honda was better in stock form. But with the valve issue and the Yamaha being good in so many other areas, I'd go with the 08 without hesitation.

the honda makes around 10% more power and it also handles a little better straight out of the crate, the yamaha more reliable or another way of putting it is your going to get twice as long out of your top end and piston.really all comes down to $$$$$ if on a small budget get the yami ,when that hondas getting its first rebuild youll still be going strong:ride:

They are telling me as long as you maintain the Honda its fine. Keep air filter clean and oil changes. But that's like any bike I have, if you ask me. My stepson is going to be 14 yrs old in 2 weeks and he is a "B" rider. We have had an 04 Honda before, and he rode the crap out of it. But I tried to upgrade last year since he liked the 4 stroke so much and I bought a used 2007 suzuki, and after 5th ride (at LLq qualifier) it blew up. Nothing but bad luck from then on for the rest of year. We are now back on CR125, but he really likes 4 stroke. But I am only buying a new one. And they are having some pretty good deals out there.

Anyway, thanks for all the opinions. Is the power that much different on the yamaha, or do you just have to get used to where the power is. I see guys on Yamaha's and they seem pretty fast to me.

The power depends on the rider and riding style. Coming from a 125 I don't think power will be a problem. The power of the yamaha come on really smooth making it easy to ride but other riders see that as a downfall because they want to feel a bigger hit when they get on it. This is just my opinion though.

If he's a B rider thats on the rev limiter a lot, then he and your pocket will benefit from the reliability of the yamaha. Send the head off to Jesse at williamsmotowerx to get ported and get the lighter valve train parts and that thing will last multiple times longer than a Honda.