What do you guys use to clean the oil and air filter?

the manual says to use kerosene to clean with and the dealership said use soap and water. I was wondering what everyone else used. also how can I tell if the filter in the bike is stock or aftermarket? it is a foam filter not gauze.

thanks

For a foam air filter, I use filter cleaner spray and let it soak for about 15 minutes. I then soak the filter in warm, soapy water and let all the oil and dirt come off. Then let it dry, soak it with filter oil and you're done.

As for the oil filter, I replace it every other oil change. (Honda CRF250)

some people use gasoline or varsol but the best thing for your filter is to buy a special filter cleaning formula... i forget who makes the one i use but its awsome.. just a powder you mix with hot water and then let it soak and then rinse it.... they make the filter last longer than using gas and they clean it better too

the filter and cleaner RogersM16 is referring to ( and what i use on all my bikes ) is the NoToil filter. Easy to clean, easy to use product. Cost like 15 bux for a new 1 and mine have lasted for a few years with no problems. Just mix the powder in hot water, soak, rinse, squeeze excess water out, let dry and oil with either the NoToil spray oil or the bottled oil.

We've always just put 'em in my step dad's parts washer, safety clean brand fluid, then a warm water and dish detergent wash, a good squease and let dry, reoil and reinstall, as to the oil filter.......... Um... On my 125? Ain't found it yet

the filter and cleaner RogersM16 is referring to ( and what i use on all my bikes ) is the NoToil filter. Easy to clean, easy to use product. Cost like 15 bux for a new 1 and mine have lasted for a few years with no problems. Just mix the powder in hot water, soak, rinse, squeeze excess water out, let dry and oil with either the NoToil spray oil or the bottled oil.

The no-toil system is nice and easy to use but I don't believe it offers the same protection as a petroleum based filter oil.

The powder that comes with the no-toil is the same thing as oxyclean. Unfortunetely that alone isn't enough to break down the FFT. Hence the quick spray w/ carb cleaner.

It's always been my understanding that contact cleaner, while providing similar results to brake cleaner, is a little kinder to rubber. Caveat: I'm not a techie.

I know is carb cleaner does the job without breaking down the filter. Non chlorinated brake cleaner might be OK but I don't know. Don't know about the contact cleaner.