Sign in to follow this  

how many adjustment lines for front preload

Can someone do me a favor and see if the owners manual notes how many lines there are on the adjusters for the front fork preload.

There is no external preload adjustment. Are you talking about fork tube height ? In the sand of N.J. you might want to keep the nose up,top line flush with the clamp.

I am talking about the preload.on top pf each fork is a big flat head screw diver type slot that you can turn to adjust the preload. the default setting is line 3 according to the repair manual, but i was wondering how much more i can loosen it.

The forks are raised through the clamp about 3/4 of an inch....i was thinking about putting them back down where they cam from the factory

John: cant ride weekends as I have my son who is 11 months old

My s has no preload adjustment. On my street bikes i run just enough preload to stop the fork from bottoming under heavy braking. Not much help,i know.

It's just a ride height adjustment and will have little affect on anything else. It will certainly have a stop,in other words you can turn it all the way in or out without any problems.

the small slot screw on the top of the fork is not preload adjustment. its rebound damping adjustment (on an S)

There is no external preload adjustment, like it has been said.

The top flat head screw driver slot adjusts the rebound damping and the bottom the compression damping.

Now I am confused. The screw on top is not a small one on the 2001 S model. According to my Clymer manual, that big screw is to adjust the preload, just like it was for for every bike I've ever owned. I guess the 2002 on bikes must have rebound and no preload on top.