Sign in to follow this  

Just got KLR 650 Now What?

Hey guys,

I just got an '07 KLR 650 and it's totally stock.

Now What?

Some of the things that I'm thinking are a Garmin 205 GPS and RAM mount, an led tailight(not sure which one).

Give me some more idea's for gear/mods/add-ons.

The bike will be mainly used for commuting back and forth to work. I will be parking it downtown, so maybe also some theft detterent ideas.

As far as apparel goes I'm 6'5" and 185lbs. I've read that FirstGear makes good Large Tall Jackets, what about pants though? I usually wear 34x34 as far as pants go, but I could maybe use 36 for length on riding pants. I'm thinking the AFX FX-37 DS for a helmet.

Thanks for the idea's guys, I've really appreciated all of your input on my other posts as well!

How will I know if and/or when the "doohickey" needs to be replaced? Also, if I am not that mechanically inclined how much would it be for a shop to do this?

Thanks

You're best off just fixing the problem now and not waiting for it to fail. Even if the spring and lever are in good shape it's unlikely that the system is operating properly. The problem is the spring is usually too long and the lever is soft enough to take a 'dent' and stop it from moving even when you try to adjust it.

Go to www.klr650.net and order a lever and spring from Eagle Mike. You will also need some special tools but given your location you may be able to find someone on the previously mentioned website to loan you the tool and probably help you through the procedure.

The 1st rule of the doohickey is that the only doohickey that does not need to be replaced is a doohickey that has been replaced.

Dave

Doohickey.

If you plan to ride at all off paved roads, a fork brace, and progressive fork springs.

A 13 or 14 tooth CS sprocket, pegs with grip, and subframe upgrade bolts, and better tires to if going off the pavement.....if just using on roads, then no need to do this stuff.

Hey guys,

Now What?

RIDE IT! :):banghead: :banghead:

all doohickeys need replaced unless they have been replaced with the aftermarket type.

Go ride young man, go ride...............

Hey guys,

Now What?

Trade it in for a XR650l!:):banghead: