California Questions

I personally know several guys that have street plated 08 WR450 & ~ 03-04 Honda XR650R and they have not lost their plates. One of the WR450's is dual registered - Green sticker & street plate. I have also heard of just what Mike said above.

This horse has been beaten, tortured, killed, and buried.

over and over........ i will tell you this try it and see if you dont have the evil 8th digit...if it dont work for ya........buy a bike thats already plated!

If the bike wasn't manufactured for street use then it's illegal to registered it for the street...I'm not saying I wouldn't try or buy a bike illegally plated...You just wouldn't hear a beep out of me when I got caught...

What - you think I'm making this up? There are much better uses of my time. Here's how it went down:

Installed a BD kit w/mirror and tires.

Trailered the bike to a third party inspector as instructed by the DMV to have light system approved.

Took inspection results and the bike to the DMV where he passed a visual VIN inspectipon (conducted by a DMV employee).

Paid a fee and left with a plate.

Mysterious, huh.

What - you think I'm making this up? There are much better uses of my time. Here's how it went down:

Trailered the bike to a third party inspector as instructed by the DMV to have light system approved.

Took inspection results and the bike to the DMV where he passed a visual VIN inspectipon (conducted by a DMV employee).

Mysterious, huh.

Well, yeah kinda. Part of the visual inspection is to see that the bike has the sticker that says it meets federal and state emissions for on-road (form 343)?

The VIN inspection is a seperate inspection from the lighting/equipment inspection and must be done by a DMV employee (not CHP although they used to allow that). They are supposed to check for on-road enission sticker (either FED or CA). If there is none end of story. Now if you get an inspector who doesn't know what he/she is doing then you might get a plate. Of course they will be taking it away in a couple of years when emission testing begins!

• 2 weeks later...

On a thread around here that I was reading this morning, a forest service guy reported that they can not trust CA DMV registration, at least red sticker versus green sticker. So they follow the law, they look at the VIN number. If the VIN number indicates it is a red sticker bike then they right tickers for off road if out of season.

He was discussing off road. He was not discussing street riding. It isn't the plate or red sticker that makes it legal to ride off road in the summer. It is the VIN number.

Mysterious, huh.

ONLY if the 343 form had the 'meets Federal and California emissions standards' box checked, and a Law Enforcement Officer puts in his badge number and signs the 'x' where stated will he be able to keep the plate. Otherwise, he just got 'lucky' and his plate may be pulled once it goes through Sacramento. Or it may not. Depends on if his registration is one that is pulled for random scrutiny.

Thanks