Sign in to follow this  

Whoops Race

Alright guys, i've gotten GREAT advice from this site before, so i keep coming back for more! :banghead: But anyway, this past sunday, i did a Whoops Race at my local track. Now, incase your not famililiar with a Whoops race, its a race that is mostly/all whoops..the entire time. I ran the 40 miler, which was TOUGH. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for Working out, or anything on how to take 60 miles of whoops and survive. Thanks in advance! :)

thats insane. whats the point of that? i cant stand whoops in the first place, they ware me out so unbelievably quick. i cant even imagine a mile straight of just whoops.

thats insane. whats the point of that? i cant stand whoops in the first place, they ware me out so unbelievably quick. i cant even imagine a mile straight of just whoops.

It was gnarly, but its really not that bad. There not GIANT whoops, they vary in size, some being a little bit over 2 inches off the ground some being a good foot or so. its kind of like a hare scramble :)

Ride a bicycle and ride ride ride it for your legs and knees. that about it. pull back and pin it where you most comfortable:ride:

Ride a bicycle and ride ride ride it for your legs and knees. that about it. pull back and pin it where you most comfortable:ride:

Hmm.. i have been off the mountain bike for a while.. maybe i will start riding to school again.. thanks :)

Holy crap an all whoops race? jeez a simple mile or 2 of snady deep whoops and im freakin TOAST. But these are like 3 foot deeps whoops...

Holy crap an all whoops race? jeez a simple mile or 2 of snady deep whoops and im freakin TOAST. But these are like 3 foot deeps whoops...

It is definetly a hard race. BUT, they arent super deep whoops either

try China Hat, 3-4 foot whoops for 100 miles. misery

Alright guys, i've gotten GREAT advice from this site before, so i keep coming back for more! :banghead: But anyway, this past sunday, i did a Whoops Race at my local track. Now, incase your not famililiar with a Whoops race, its a race that is mostly/all whoops..the entire time. I ran the 40 miler, which was TOUGH. I was wondering if you guys had any tips for Working out, or anything on how to take 60 miles of whoops and survive. Thanks in advance! :)

You can get that every weekend if you start on a late minute in a So NJ Enduro.

The season starts Sunday.

Drink like crazy and eat bananas and take Rolaids to ward off the leg cramps.

mmm, whoops there I go again..., yup I've done a few of these, never called them that more like a @#%%$$&******@$ hard race but I hear ya.

To be honest I love the tough stuff, rocks whoops (I consider myself a bit of a whoops junky) there's just something about being able to go flat out (within reason) where other people are re-thinking themselves (My "whoops" races are like knee deep moguls - some parts hard pack then loamy and allot of sugar whoops(sand)), the trick for me anyway is to get a rhythm and stick to it as much as possible 4th say 1/4 - 1/2 throttle (around 70-110 kmph (my best over a 10km section of knee deeps is 134 kmph after that I was buggered and nearly took a trip to the hospital after hitting a square edge face - cased it after a misjudge in timing got away with a sprained wrist) - depending on whoop size depth and angle) some times you going to feel slow then you going to feel really fast.

What you have to remember in a race like this is Endurance is key and the mind is what wins it, knowing the bike and being comfortable on it.

I take my hat off to you and say well done for even trying what most people would consider a crap time/no fun.

There is no advice most could offer you unless they are seasoned at such events, your fitness aside - it's all in the technique and mind.

Practice on a outdoor mx track as much as you can through the rhythm sections it's about the best thing you can do - if the track has moguls (unevenly spaced whoops) even better.

Good luck and :)

PS: The Bananas are a good bit of advice (potassium is your arm pump stopping mate) along with a electrolyte replacement drink such as rehydrate. Otherwise good sleep loads of fluids and focus.

Oh yeah, body position - attack position all the time - look at the whoops try to stay on top of them if your front wheel dives into a hole get on the gas smoothly but quickly to get "up top" again but NEVER tap off - NEVER, your legs will feel like battery acid is pumping through them along with your arms, if your face feels like it's going to explode you not breathing properly - remember that like a boxer; if you giving or taking a blow you need to be breathing, every step you take (best is like a fighter breath out on impact and in on release) if you starve the body of oxygen it's like starving the motor of oil - you going to seize up and be finito.

Ride it like the sx guys, you will save on replacements for your front tire.

The only way to prepare for a race like that would be chewing on tinfoil while you are shaving your head with a cheese grater. Don't forget the tobasco rinse and condition. After spending a couple of hours doing this the whoops race should seem only mildly more painful.

Serious fitness and concentration are what are going to win that race. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you are a masochist as well.

My all time favorite thing . Whoops :) . Bike ,even the Raptor . Set up ,and blast thru em (sick I know:busted: ) Pretty good comparison also ! I may have to try that ..cheese grater huh ? This may hurt a bit . Pain is good ,and extreme pain is extremly good :banghead:

You can get that every weekend if you start on a late minute in a So NJ Enduro.

The season starts Sunday.

Drink like crazy and eat bananas and take Rolaids to ward off the leg cramps.

Every weekend? Thats crazy man. What are "rolaids"?

mmm, whoops there I go again..., yup I've done a few of these, never called them that more like a @#%%$$&******@$ hard race but I hear ya.

To be honest I love the tough stuff, rocks whoops (I consider myself a bit of a whoops junky) there's just something about being able to go flat out (within reason) where other people are re-thinking themselves (My "whoops" races are like knee deep moguls - some parts hard pack then loamy and allot of sugar whoops(sand)), the trick for me anyway is to get a rhythm and stick to it as much as possible 4th say 1/4 - 1/2 throttle (around 70-110 kmph (my best over a 10km section of knee deeps is 134 kmph after that I was buggered and nearly took a trip to the hospital after hitting a square edge face - cased it after a misjudge in timing got away with a sprained wrist) - depending on whoop size depth and angle) some times you going to feel slow then you going to feel really fast.

What you have to remember in a race like this is Endurance is key and the mind is what wins it, knowing the bike and being comfortable on it.

I take my hat off to you and say well done for even trying what most people would consider a crap time/no fun.

There is no advice most could offer you unless they are seasoned at such events, your fitness aside - it's all in the technique and mind.

Practice on a outdoor mx track as much as you can through the rhythm sections it's about the best thing you can do - if the track has moguls (unevenly spaced whoops) even better.

Good luck and :)

PS: The Bananas are a good bit of advice (potassium is your arm pump stopping mate) along with a electrolyte replacement drink such as rehydrate. Otherwise good sleep loads of fluids and focus.

Oh yeah, body position - attack position all the time - look at the whoops try to stay on top of them if your front wheel dives into a hole get on the gas smoothly but quickly to get "up top" again but NEVER tap off - NEVER, your legs will feel like battery acid is pumping through them along with your arms, if your face feels like it's going to explode you not breathing properly - remember that like a boxer; if you giving or taking a blow you need to be breathing, every step you take (best is like a fighter breath out on impact and in on release) if you starve the body of oxygen it's like starving the motor of oil - you going to seize up and be finito.

Thanks for all the Advice! Those sound like gnarly sections. I dont know the conversion rate. but im sure thats still faster then i was going!

I will make sure to leave myself a note on the handgaurds to Breathe. :banghead:

Ride it like the sx guys, you will save on replacements for your front tire.

The only way to prepare for a race like that would be chewing on tinfoil while you are shaving your head with a cheese grater. Don't forget the tobasco rinse and condition. After spending a couple of hours doing this the whoops race should seem only mildly more painful.

Serious fitness and concentration are what are going to win that race. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you are a masochist as well.

Haha your kidding.. ride 40 miles of whoops like SX guys? That would KILL me. :foul:

My all time favorite thing . Whoops :banghead: . Bike ,even the Raptor . Set up ,and blast thru em (sick I know:busted: ) Pretty good comparison also ! I may have to try that ..cheese grater huh ? This may hurt a bit . Pain is good ,and extreme pain is extremly good :p

Whoops are fun, but there not my all-time favorite thing to ride on.

more whoops.

we have a race here in AZ every year that is 50-60 miles long with most of the course consisting of whoops and hill climbs, and the whole course is volcanic ash, its like riding deep sand, and they dont allow a paddle

more whoops.

we have a race here in AZ every year that is 50-60 miles long with most of the course consisting of whoops and hill climbs, and the whole course is volcanic ash, its like riding deep sand, and they dont allow a paddle

Thats flippin crazy! The race here was in like loose loose beach sand, with no paddles.. it was really hard

Hey Shift, go ride at Mattawa for a couple of weekends in a row. There are a ton of whoops there and they are almost exactly like the Richland whoops. I have found that your arms are the most important, followed by having a strong core and in shape legs. Figure out how to tune your suspension for them and hit the gas!