Sign in to follow this  

Just got KLR 650 Now What?

Hey guys,

I just got an '07 KLR 650 and it's totally stock.

Now What?

Some of the things that I'm thinking are a Garmin 205 GPS and RAM mount, an led tailight(not sure which one).

Give me some more idea's for gear/mods/add-ons.

The bike will be mainly used for commuting back and forth to work. I will be parking it downtown, so maybe also some theft detterent ideas.

As far as apparel goes I'm 6'5" and 185lbs. I've read that FirstGear makes good Large Tall Jackets, what about pants though? I usually wear 34x34 as far as pants go, but I could maybe use 36 for length on riding pants. I'm thinking the AFX FX-37 DS for a helmet.

Thanks for the idea's guys, I've really appreciated all of your input on my other posts as well!

A tank or tail bag is nice to have for carrying things when you need to. Quickly detachable so you can take it in to work with you.

Yeah, if you're parking it downtown you'll want a good cable lock.

Since it's going to be a street commuter, all the farkles I would normally recommend seem kinda mute. I would mod the things that are notorious for becoming quirky, making it more reliable, so you don't become stranded somewhere wondering what the heck is wrong. Things like:

bypassing the sidestand and clutch safety switches,

upgrading the electrical harness fuses to the blade type,

replacing the DooHickey,

you can always use better brakes on a commuter bike so I'd do the EBC

320mm front rotor mod,

replace those soft fork springs with the Progressive or Cogent,

put some vibration dampers on your mirrors,

for a little better throttle response and get up and go in traffic replace the air filter with a UNI, pull the airbox snorkle, do the .22 mod to the carb slide and needle, remove the metal cover over the fuel screw to have access to it for adjustment.

Doohicky (cam chain tensioner) is the weak link in the engine. Put an upgraded one in and be done with it. Failure can be catastrophic. That is about all the engine really needs.

Replace the cooling fan fuse with another of the same apmerage as stock. The stock "S" shape will fatigue and fail. Normal straight fuses from the parts store will be just fine. And no cutting and splicing wires either. Spliced wires usually cause more problems then what they are trying to prevent.

When the tires wear out, go to a more street pattern, but stock will do fine until they wear.

Depending on the speeds you travel, a 16 tooth front sprocket may be a good thing. This may or may not be a good choice. Again, depends on the riding style and the machine itself. If there is a lot of city traffic, probably not.

Stainless front brake hose can help with brake feel.

None of those should stop you from riding it as it is now. But I would recomend doing the doohickey first, the rest as time allows.

I'd consider the subframe bolt modification as well down the road a bit

I was completely mad at the radiator shrouds that loved to come loose at inopportune moments, and as well when in a trail situation the lack of the thermostat on the fan kicking in as needed. Also encountered tank mount problems that fractured and weeped all over, I rode the bike quite hard off road though, once I got with the machine she was a really great bike particularly on old beat up backroads that no ZX14 would dare try...HE HE run and hide from them!

If your just going to stay on payvement, ride it stock.

I you want to go off road, you will need to spend about $1000

I bought my 2008 KLR650 last summer and my buddy bought his 2009 KLR650 a month or two later, so I can relate. I go on and off road and put a lot of mileage on.

It's not my quote but I agree with it: "The best accessory you can get for your new dualsport is gas". The only accessory I added when I bought it was Kawasaki saddle bags.

Over the winter I added a custom seat, a louder horn, and a lockable hard rear luggage case for in town.

As for longer pants, if you were in Canada I would highly recomend Rubber Side Down Motorcycle Clothing (http://www.rubbersidedown.ca/) in Richmond, British Columbia, as he will custom make jackets and pants with armour.