Sign in to follow this  

Springs on an '06 RM250

I have a '06 RM250. I just had my suspension revalved and it is much more compliant in the woods, but still WAY too stiff, so i believe i need to swap to softer springs.

I ride NO MX, I only ride woods - C enduro rider. I am only 145 lbs w/o gear. I need input from some of the lightweights out there about what spring rate to use.

Race Tech Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.397 kg/mm

Stock Fork Spring Rate: .430 kg/mm (stock)

Race Tech Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 4.88 kg/mm (use closest available)

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.2 kg/mm (stock)

I am thinking of going softer than the recommendations - I want a really soft and plush ride. If I went with Front: .38 and Rear: 4.6, would it be too soft?

too soft a spring wont give you a plusher ride, as it will ride too low and be in the stiff part of the stroke, RT isnt too far out on this bike IMO.

my 07 rmz 250 uses 5.0 and 0.44 for my 165lb and the sag numbers are good, so for you i would say 0.40 and 4.7

• Like 1

thanks for the response. This does bring up a question - if the shock and the fork do not have position sensitive valving (which i assume they don't) then why would sitting a little lower in the stroke with soft springs be stiffer?

due to the airspring and linkage leaverage ratios.

i went ahead and ordered .40 on the front and a 4.8 on the rear. I'll report back my results.

The springs are installed and i went for the 1st ride. The front is wonderful and compliant. The rear is a HUGE difference - so smooth and plush. I still can't quite get the full 4 inches of sag with the 4.8 rear spring - i am at 3.75 and the bike is a little twichy at speed, but not too bad.