Project R Complete!

After five long months of modifications, Project R is finally done! For those of you who wonder if it can be done, I present my bike to you. You can see the starter in the pics of the motor, and it really is fully functional.

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

• Like 1

It's actually an X with a full R rear end/exhaust. I mounted the battery over the airbox using a battery tray that I fabbed out of AL. I used disconnects on the wire harness to allow for easy removal of the entire setup. You would never know it, but I actually found it easier to change the filter on my bike v. the stock bike sans having to remove the seat. I modded the wire harness to remove the headlight and taillight circuits and shortened the negative cable to reduce weight. This eliminated two pounds from the harness! I had to move the CDI, so I fabbed an AL bracket and mounted the CDI to the back of the radiator where the aux fan would go. I will post pics of this if I get more time and good weather as it is freakin cold here right now.

List of mods I did this winter below:

ENGINE

07R head (polished exhaust ports)

RHC Intakes and springs/retainers

New exhaust valves/springs/retainers/keepers

08R cam

08R piston

Decompressor Mod

New timing chain

Changed jetting to specs from AS as a baseline (will adjust as needed)

New No Toil Filter and Cage with PC pro seal and Filterskins

Moose Racing/ZipTy Magnetic oil filter cover

New Hour meter

Suspension

New Fork springs & fluid

New Shock Spring and Fluid

Drive

New Ironman Rear Sprocket (51t)

New Front Sprocket (13t)

New DID ERV3 Chain

Tires

New Bridgestone 603/604 tires (changed them myself!!!!)

Other

New Radiator shrouds (Cycra Powerflow)

New Rear Plastics (for R rear)

New Mud flap

New Graphics (one Industries Torco)

New seat cover

Removed ODO and cable

New fork Protectors (R version)

R seat

R gas tank (Made an AL bracket to mount to the frame)

Ebatt (system charging)

I already had:

Cycra ProBend Handgaurds

Cycra front stadium plate

Maintenance:

Regreased everything

Changed all oils

Nice job. Any reason you didn't just buy the R??

I have posted that in retrospect I would have rather bought the R. But, since this was my first dirtbike I did not quite know what I wanted yet and the Estart sold me on the X. After seeing all the posts on whether or not you could put the duals on an X, and all the replys about how much work it would be, the tinkerer in me got the best of me and I had to try it! I got some parts off of TT members and many parts off of eBay. Minus the costs of the engine modifications/repairs it really wasn't all too bad. Now I have a bike that is in an elite crowd (as I am sure someone else has done this whether or not I have seen it), and I have a bike that has both parts that originally drew me to each (starter and duals). I have not weighed my bike yet but I know that it is pretty light.....not quite an R light, but way lighter than an X.

All in all I love having the estart, but I have always loved the look of the dual exhuast.

sick bike man! what is your est costs with switching the subframe and exhaust? do you have a lithium batt. if not that would be the icing on the cake for losing weight and becoming more Rish. I would love to do this conv to mine.

Nice makeover man. I love seeing people's hard work and inginuity at work and coming together in a kick ass project. Do you ride trails or MX? That would be a pretty sweet trail ride with the X gearing and the R mods you've done to lighten it and gain some power.

How's it run?

Nice makeover man. I love seeing people's hard work and inginuity at work and coming together in a kick ass project. Do you ride trails or MX? That would be a pretty sweet trail ride with the X gearing and the R mods you've done to lighten it and gain some power.

How's it run?

I ride both. Probably a mix of 60 trails/40 MX.

Actually, due to the cold I have not ridden it yet. I checked starter/electrical operation and broke it in with the dry method, but I have not ran it yet. As soon as it warms up a little I will get it out and report back. I have spoken with many people about the combinations of parts that I chose and am sure that I will like it. I posted this first because I was so excited to finally have it all together! Should be warmer here soon.

Looks great. Good job.

Those graphics can be a pain to install.

if you're refering to the one bubble on the radiator shroud, i'm not sure what happened! it was bubble free when I put the graphic on there, then I put the shrouds on the bike, and soon after....bubble. It is the same on the other side as well. I did not even notice it until I saw it in that pic! Luckily it is very hard to notice from 3+ feet away. I already tried pushing it back down and I can hear the adhesive stick then release. Those shrouds were brand new and cleaned with contact cleaner before the graphics went on.

I already tried pushing it back down and I can hear the adhesive stick then release.

Did you try poking it with a needle to release the air? Poke it with a needle, then work the air back out through the tiny hole. If you don't release the air, the pressure won't allow the sticker to say on the plastic. ...but you probably already tried that.

• Like 1

if you're refering to the one bubble on the radiator shroud, i'm not sure what happened! it was bubble free when I put the graphic on there, then I put the shrouds on the bike, and soon after....bubble. It is the same on the other side as well. I did not even notice it until I saw it in that pic! Luckily it is very hard to notice from 3+ feet away. I already tried pushing it back down and I can hear the adhesive stick then release. Those shrouds were brand new and cleaned with contact cleaner before the graphics went on.

Heat it up with a hair dryer and try to get it to stick.

You bastard:foul:

you stole my dual exhaust dream!

oh well, at least I know what is involved now:thumbsup:

awesome X

sorry man....but I can help you with the conversion if/when you want to do it