Sign in to follow this  

98 dr350 right side wheel bearing

My sons 1998 dr350 needs a new right side wheel bearing. I have taken things apart as far as I want to go and I have a few questions before I take the wheel into the shop.

The bearing we were given in the shop for the right side is a ball bearing sealed unit. According to our manual this make sense but now I am wondering if I have the wrong part.

The old bearing assembly was so totally and compleatly shot that when the axle was removed the few bearings that remained fell out and looked more like mushrooms than circles. The inner race was barely intact. My question or problem is that what is remaining and seems to be fused to the hub may be the outer race of the old bearing or maybe its just part of the hub. I tried to remove this outer race looking piece but no luck. I am worried about wrecking the hub if what I am trying to get out is realy a part of the casting of the hub. Meaning I should be putting in roller balls into this casting in the hub.Sorry for the confusing explaination hear but I am confused. If I knew for sure the 1998 dr350 never had any loose roller ball bearings I would proceed with further bashing and pulling untill the outer race comes out of take it to the shop. If it is an outer race that is galled to the hub its going to be tuff to get out as there is not much to hang on to for pulling etc. Hope this makes sense I am thinking that someone familiar with this model can shed some light here for me before I wreck something. If I know its an outer race I will probably take it to the shop to see if they can pull it for me......thanks in advance.... wayne.

The hub is all aluminum. The bearing races are steel, check with a magnet. You need to carefully remove the outer race from the hub if it is stuck. this is not easy as you have little room to cut a notch in it, and almost nothing to "grab" to knock it out.

I have done this using an old flatblade screw driver. I had to grind the tip to a rounded chisel point to get it wedged between the inside edge of the race and the hub. I then used a small steel pipe inserted through the hub from the opposite side. This pipe rests against the side of the screwdriver shaft. When you hit the pipe with a hammer, it will push the screwdriver shaft sideways and slowly work the bearing race out, bit by bit. You will have to reposition the screwdriver tip for each hit. Work your way evenly around the bearing race until it is out. If you don't feel confident trying this, take it to a shop. You do not want to ruin the hub, you will be looking at buying a used wheel to replace it if it breaks.