Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 vs YZ250

Hello

I am new to dirt bikes and tracks and trails, all my life I rode enduro bikes to work around a ranch though.

I bought a 2001 YZ125 which was a blast, then an opportunity came to buy a 2005 YZ250 for barely more than what I had been offered for the 125, and as they weighed more or less the same, I did the upgrade, but I found you CAN have TOO much power. So I bought a 1995 YZ125 (for $150) that had been ran without oil. I replated the cylinder, put a new piston, seals, fork seals, clutch boss, etc and finally have it running well. I am tempted to sell the YZ250 and keep the 125. I am 40, 5''11, 185#.

Would it take me a long time to get to safely control the power of the 250? I love the bike, it is so smooth, torquey, light, etc. But even with a flywheel weight I added I can't safely control it. Another alternative would be going to a gnarly pipe, it advertises it makes it behave like a 4 stroke. Definitely I would get a lot more money for the 250 than for the 125...

For the trails I have a very reliable 1989 KDX200, so I am not really concerned about the trail capability of each, unless I can have a bike that does both pretty well...

I will be happy to hear opinions, comments, advise or criticisms on the issue.

i say stick with the 250, its a lot newer, better ride, more comfortable, easier to get parts for.

It shouldnt take long ot be confortable with it, i just pick up a 99 yz250 in october after not riding for 4 years, took me 2 rides and i wasnt scared at all anymore and can control it easily... just takes seat time, im 5'11" and 155lbs they arnt as bad as you make it seem!!!

youll get bored of the 125 also yet they are a fun bike to toy around on! keep both and get used to both, then you can have fun on both!

Yea..If You can keep both do it! I love 125's but have a YZ250 now. I had to remember that I am NOT Ricky Carmichael, and can NOT ride the 250 like I can a 125..Which is pinned..WFO!

I like the 250 but would really like to have a 125 again....I think I need two bikes!..The wife disagrees..LOL!

It is a tough choice. For me the 250 is the only way to go. My friend rides a 2000 YZ 125. I have ridden it a few times. The power delivery is more forgiving on the track, but I can't stand it in the woods. My 250 with the flywheel weight will pull like a tractor on the big hills. It is so hard to stall, and it has saved me many times on steep hills. I also like having the ability to raise the front wheel at any given time to clear an obstacle. When I first got back into riding I had a few cases of Whiskey throttle that almost turned nasty, but now I feel like I can control the bike much easier. With the 125 you have to keep it pinned all of the time. I have another buddy that rides a CR 125. It is funny to watch the difference in how he and I attack a hill. He hits it wide open, and if he ever looses traction it is over. I can ease up to the hill and hit the throttle just at the bottom. The bike is powerfull enough to launch me so fast that I can let off of the throttle early and cost to the top. But if I do loose traction or momentum I can still pull out of it. It really just comes down to what you like.

Hello, thank you for all your replies.

What would an 06-08 pipe do to my engine?

Hello, thank you for all your replies.

What would an 06-08 pipe do to my engine?

torquier low IMO. stronger mid. more over-rev too. It's 06-09 still. Might get one on eBay.

you could achieve the low end boost and harder hitting mid range with a pipe spacer (on a pre 06 OEM pipe) but I never felt much of a difference with mine (spacer on a 07 pipe).

I rode my YZ250 back to back with the 05 YZ125 my son used to have quite a bit. I am the same weight as you are. I much prefer the 250, the 125 just took so much work to keep on the pipe and the lighter weight just did not seem much of an advantage.

I used to ride CR500s, to me the 250 is not hard to control. All depends on your own preference.

Well, I sold the YZ250 (sometimes I regret it) and, please forgive me, but I bought a red bike, a $400 '88 CR250r, to loan to my buddies. I find it surprisingly similar to the KDX200 in riding, doesn't feel like a dirt bike.

I bought a red bike, a $400 '88 CR250r, to loan to my buddies. I find it surprisingly similar to the KDX200 in riding, doesn't feel like a dirt bike.

Of course not. It's a Honda afterall....:crazy:

Seriously, ride what you like and don't let anyone tell you something else. What works for rider A may not work for rider B.

You could have just retarded your timing and got that powerband under control. I would have stuck with the newer ride.