Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on 08 SM610

Hey guys- I have been looking at getting another sm, and I was set on the 690 enduro and converting it to SM use. I loved the power, seat height, smoothness. I didn't like the cat in the exhaust (which may or may not be fixed with a $500 pipe and remap), but MAINLY I didn't like the price. Local dealer has a "used" 08 KTM 690 enduro with 15 miles on it (well, 25 now), but they are wanting $8988 for it. Thats right, $100 over MSRP. They also refused to work with me at all on it.

On the way out of town, I decided to stop by the local husky dealer, and they let me take a ride on an 07 SM610 with a leo vince pipe. They said they could more than likely get me an 08 straight from the warehouse, and they're running a $1000 rebate right now. The 07 I rode had some pretty obvious jetting problems, but was still quite a bit stouter than the DR-Z I used to ride.

So, my questions. Maintenance- Oil changes and valves. How often do you guys do these? MPG? I'll be using the bike mainly for commuting- ~60 miles per day. I know commuting on an SM isn't preferred, but I enjoy them so I am willing to put up with the seat and no wind protection. I did notice the vibrations on the 610SM were definitely noticeable when you poured on the coal. How much power are we talking for the common upgrades? What are the common upgrades? And lastly, if anyone is feeling extremely generous in the northern Denver area, could I get a ride on an SM/TE610? Another thing- The KTM has a slipper clutch, the husky doesn't, does it? Not a big deal...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

The Husky does NOT have a slipper in it. The maint. intervals are around the same as the DRZ that you're used to..........maybe slightly more along with checking the valves more often. I think they are getting around mid 50's for hp with the pipe and jetting but I maybe more off than I have researched.....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter too much. I have one sitting in the garage now! It was delivered last night, and there is a blizzard warning here! I want to ride so bad, but I don't think its the wisest thing to do to head out into that. Hopefully tomorrow!

Hello fellow Coloradan, and congratulations on the new bike. I have a 08 SM610 and I might be able to give you some input. I got about 50 MPG when it was new and stock. after about 600 miles I put on an UPTITE slip-on, removed the O2 sensor and installed sensor jumper plug. It runs like a striped ape now. and gets low 40s MPG.

So what would you say the HP. figures are? Ayntime feel like a 510 would have been better?

I have no idea what the HP is. I didn't want the service intervals of the 510 and the complexity of adjusting it's valves. I like the 610 for its more street/commuter friendliness. I have heard 50 HP stock, so maybe it is 2 or 3 more, that would be 4-6% increase. I don't have a dyno (other than the seat of the pants dyno), but it runs MUCH better after the mods.

So what would you say the HP. figures are? Ayntime feel like a 510 would have been better?

610 is 52.3 hp 601 cc.

510 is 53.0 hp 501 cc.

450 is 44.5 hp 449 cc

250 is 33.2 hp 249 cc.

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/husqvarna_te450&page=all

The 610 is actually rated by the factory as above. The rest come from Tasky's metric cycles dyno testing powered up.

I'm not willing to give up the maintenance that the race bikes require, even if they are faster.

610 is 52.3 hp 601 cc. 577 cc

510 is 53.0 hp 501 cc.

450 is 44.5 hp 449 cc

250 is 33.2 hp 249 cc.

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/husqvarna_te450&page=all

The 610 is actually rated by the factory as above. The rest come from Tasky's metric cycles dyno testing powered up.

I fixed it for you unless you were referenceing a 601 kitted bike in which case I just confused the issue.:thumbsup:

I have no idea what the HP is. I didn't want the service intervals of the 510 and the complexity of adjusting it's valves. I like the 610 for its more street/commuter friendliness. I have heard 50 HP stock, so maybe it is 2 or 3 more, that would be 4-6% increase. I don't have a dyno (other than the seat of the pants dyno), but it runs MUCH better after the mods.

Nice!!! The valves are really simple on Huskys, its the whole timing chain and con rod that need replacing at something like 10k.....thats every year for myself..........is this true?

Any news on that conrod/timing chain question? If things go as planned we might add a SM to the stable and the Husky is my favorite so far.

Damn "510 guy", you're all over the place and still asking

the same ol' question; QUOTE" Ayntime feel like a 510 would have been better?"QUOTE

Are you just not getting enough love for your 510? We're all family here. I respect the 510, 450, 310 on down, the

"BADASSED" little brothers of the mighty 610, the stealth

yet even kealed and a little more resevered big brother.

That's how I see it anyway. Ma...Pa...??? any thoughts??

I've read on SMJ that the timing chain is cheaper to replace than a new set of tires. Apparently its about a 5 hr job if you do it yourself. You just have to monitor the slack (no more than 10 clicks out) so it doesn't chew up the reed valve. From what I've read overall, its a non-issue. You just have to keep on top of it.

Damn "510 guy", you're all over the place and still asking

the same ol' question; QUOTE" Ayntime feel like a 510 would have been better?"QUOTE

Are you just not getting enough love for your 510? We're all family here. I respect the 510, 450, 310 on down, the

"BADASSED" little brothers of the mighty 610, the stealth

yet even kealed and a little more resevered big brother.

That's how I see it anyway. Ma...Pa...??? any thoughts??

Good call on all accounts. I am not Ma...Pa... but 4WIW. I love my TE450 and I also love its big sister, my SM610. :p

Good call on all accounts. I also love its big sister, my SM610. :banghead:

"Band of Brothers, You should rent it sometime."

The "TE" and "SM" are actually non-identicle twin brothers.

There are no sisters in the bloodline.

BTW, yes.. I did just steal a quote from "The Breakup"

w/Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Yes, Jennifer turns

me on ???? and yes I might as well admit that I watch an

occasional "chick flick" or two and like them. What can I say...I'm ......:banghead::banghead::banghead: