Sign in to follow this  

Carbed Engine Question

i am picking up a 1964 Chevy C10 next week and there is only one problem with it. Before you start the truck, you have to pour gas into the carb so itll start. the mech. said the choke was stuck? some electrical part?

anyone know how to fix this? what it is? how much itll cost?

shoot me a PM if you do

thanks for all the help ahead of time:ride:

i am picking up a 1964 Chevy C10 next week and there is only one problem with it. Before you start the truck, you have to pour gas into the carb so itll start. the mech. said the choke was stuck? some electrical part?

shoot me a PM if you do

see if you can find a carb kit for it.

i found an electric choke kit for the '64 C10 for $60 from Classic Industries. Would that fix it?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends if it is the problem. It could be. Maybe the fuse for the electric choke is blown. It might have a manual choke too.

I will give you this advice: Read, and read lots. If you want to learn to fix things like this yourself, get involved. The net has lots of information, so does your library. Find friends that are mechanically experienced and ask them to help you learn & fix.

To fix the problem you have to find the cause of it. Do that before buying parts. Look at the carb, make sure everything moves properly, check to see if it's an electric or manual choke, check the linkage, see if there is +12v on the electric choke wire when the key is on, etc etc.

The fact that you need to pour gas down the carb tells me the choke is open. Electric chokes usually fail closed, so either the choke has been adjusted/blocked open or it's a manual choke.

okay...im having it looked at by my friend thats a Chevy mechanic. hes gonna let me know what he finds out tomorrow.

the mechanic im buying it from said its an electric choke...

Known as a "Choke Pull Off Assy"-essentially, the choke selonoid, a little motor that moves the choke.

Before you go buy one, you're going to need to know what carb is on there-something of that vintage, who know what carb may have migrated onto the engine in it's 40+ years of existence.

shoot me a PM if you do

Choke isnt closing. In 1964, there was no electric choke. Its all mechanical and a heater system. Did someone add a later model carb? You can start it without dumping a bunch f gas down the throat, just get inside and pump the throttle about 10 times, then crank it, it will start. And once it starts you need to keep lightly bumping the throttle to keep that accelerator pump squirting that extra fuel that is needed for cold enrichment. After a minute, you can slow down a little and a few minutes, you should be warm enough and not have to feather the throttle.

okay...im having it looked at by my friend thats a Chevy mechanic. hes gonna let me know what he finds out tomorrow.

the mechanic im buying it from said its an electric choke...

He may not have wired it up. If its electric, its a later carb. It needs to be wired so power is only there when its running. He must of just wired it in the open position. The best spot to get this power is from the "R" terminal at the alternator. It produces about 8V DC half wave rectified and produces only when the engine is running. This keeps you from leaving the key on, engine off and heating up the choke. The R terminal is next to the F terminal, ie the small 2 pin connector on your Delcotron 10DN alternator. I'm not just a Toyota tech...:)