Sign in to follow this  

E Gas Tank on SM??

I searched and searched and search. I can't find anything on why we can't put the E tank on the S or SM, nor have I found how (if its possible).

And is the reason the S and SM come with metal tanks because of the street legallity issues, the tank doesnt puncture as easy as a plastic one?

I once had an E model tank on my SM.

It fits, but it isn't a bolt-straight-on-with-minimal-work fit.

The front mounts is one difference.

You'll find out that there is no threaded hole on the left side for this mount to attach to the frame.

I went without one.

On the right side, there's a threaded hole which lines-up perfectly for the mount, but this is also the hole that the horn mount threads into.

You'll have to remove the horn mount from this hole and mount the horn somewhere else.

The E model tank mounts differently on the rear, too.

Instead of two bolts threading into the frame, the E model uses a rubber strap with loops on the ends, with one loop hooking onto a screw sticking out of the tank and the other end hooking onto the frame.

What I did was order the rubber strap from the E model and attach it to the frame with a couple of burly zip ties.

I once had an E model tank on my SM.

It fits, but it isn't a bolt-straight-on-with-minimal-work fit.

The front mounts is one difference.

You'll find out that there is no threaded hole on the left side for this mount to attach to the frame.

I went without one.

On the right side, there's a threaded hole which lines-up perfectly for the mount, but this is also the hole that the horn mount threads into.

You'll have to remove the horn mount from this hole and mount the horn somewhere else.

The E model tank mounts differently on the rear, too.

Instead of two bolts threading into the frame, the E model uses a rubber strap with loops on the ends, with one loop hooking onto a screw sticking out of the tank and the other end hooking onto the frame.

What I did was order the rubber strap from the E model and attach it to the frame with a couple of burly zip ties.

Did it fit snug? and do they make black E tanks

Where can you buy them?

When it was all done, it looked like a perfect fit.

Seemed solid, too.

Eventually, I removed it because it was yellow and I wanted black.

If you're looking for a black plastic tank that's an OEM item, you'll have to get one from the Kawasaki version of the DR-Z400E, called the KLX-400R (the parts catalogue will call it a KLX-400A1 and A2, depending on 2003 or 2004 model) since those bikes were green and black (Kawasaki colors).

I looked for a used one of these for a bit, but didn't find one in the time frame I allowed.

New, they ain't cheap.

What I did in the end was go with a black plastic 2.6 gallon tank (brand new) from IMS.

Take a look at MY GARAGE for pics.

Just like with the E model tank on your SM, IMS doesn't officially list this tank for the SM, but it fits with the same mounting proceedure.

I've ridden my bike a few times with this tank and really like it because it looks cool and lowers the front of the seat to a flatter shape. :)

Edit:

I also removed my radiator fan to make room for the lower-slung IMS tank.