Sign in to follow this  

Need advice about motor work from a speed freak.

So I have an '02 cr250. It's bad ass. It's got the usual small motor mods; reed valves, fmf pipe and sparky. Maybe somehing else I can't think of.

I am ready to speed this bitch up. I dont have the first clue as to what to do. My buddy has a VHM head, with ported and matched case halves, it looks sick. I dont know how much speed it's giving him. I'm sure some. I want my bike to bring fear to hearts of small children. That might be a bit much, but you get the picture.

What do I want to do? I don't want to destroy the reliability of my motor. Any and all advice would be great.

Drop a hundy motor in that frame and hold on!:)

I want my bike to bring fear to hearts of small children." My son last year when he was 12 said "dad the 250 scares me, I like to ride the 450". The fist time he road it I told him I do not want to see pee dripin off the seat onto the pie. Now 13 he loves to ride it all the time. It's faster than any stock 450 and runs with most modified ones unless going up a long hill, 250 2 smoke will never have the torque of a 450:cry: . I built it for lap times not max power. My guess would be 53 - 54hp. I here the shifter kart boys are 60 +hp out of these. I have 265cc, porting, head work and bolton's. I was going to put a 500 in it but I like this combo so much I never did.

First clue, huh? Learn to ride the bike to its potential or buy a 500.

ported cylinder... or better yet a ported big-bore cylinder..

Save the money you'd spend on "upgrades" for maintenance and ride the sum bitch like she owes you money. That's frantic clutch fanning/rev the piss out of it 24/7. You ride like that and pretty much anything is fast enough.

Just curious, what has been done to your suspension? I would spend your money there first if you haven't already.

I also have an '02 CR250 and figured I'd send Eric Gorr my cylinder next top-end for porting, I have no interest in the big bore kit. I have no experience with Eric, but he has an excellent reputation and knows the CR's well.

My suspension is bad, it's getting re-tuned right now. It's been re-sprung and re-valved by Pro Motion Suspension in Vancouver.

If you want more juice send your cyl. , head & powervalves to PC. They did the work on my cr & the power improvements are unreal across the poweband. Their was no bottom end mods done & it has plenty of power down low. If you run straight race gas with it jetted right & a fresh topend the power output is around 53 to 54hp. The only draw back is you'll have to run race gas. The porting will only run around $300. I would definatley recomend their work.:)

On the PC ported cylinder did they add any epoxy to the transfer ports? I'm sure that Eric Gorr does.

On the PC ported cylinder did they add any epoxy to the transfer ports? I'm sure that Eric Gorr does.

No Epoxy just grinding. I did epoxy a 97 Cyl. for more low end & got good results.