Sign in to follow this  

chain rubbing

I just put some s/m wheels on my DRZ-s , I bought used. Excel wheels and RAD mfg. hubs . The chain rubs the side of the tire, and rubed the tire previous to me also. The tire is a 140/70/17. Not oversize . I called the hub manufacture and they said shave the tire side down. --- That doesn't sound right . Or adjust the spokes to offset the wheel to the right . --- That sounds better. All it needs is about a 1/4" or so. Is this something I should do myself being a competent mechanic? Or find someone that is good with spoked wheels. Any thoughts or info appreciated Thanks!

Spokes aren't hard, you should be able to pull the tire and get the offset you need. Just do the adjustments in small increments and you'll be ready to ride before you know it...:)

I had the same problem. I lifted the back tire off the ground then started it to let the tire spin. The chain bounced back and forth so much it was hitting the tire. Turned out to be a bad chain. Then guides and rollers and sprockets. Anyway you may just want to check it out. The chain looked normal in every way on the bike until tested in that manner. I have 160/70 R17 and mine just barely hits. Does not sound like yours should hit. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies . I just read a bunch of other threads talking about the same problem . I think I'll take a few measurements ,(to see how much the rim moves ) and adjust the spokes for offset . I'll let you know how I make out .